Child pages
  • Grouper Call 3-Feb-2010_
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Grouper Call 3-Feb-2010

 *Attending*

Tom Barton, U. Chicago  (Chair)
Gary Brown, Bristol
Bob Morgan, U. Washington
Michael P. Pelikan, The Pennsylvania State University
Shilen Patel, Duke
Chris Hyzer, U. Penn
Tom Zeller, U. Memphis
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2 (scribe)

*New Action Items*

[GrouperWG:AI]  (TomB) will update the Grouper roadmap to reflect the conversation on the working group call.https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/GrouperWG/Grouper+Product+Roadmap
[GrouperWG:AI] TomZ will investigate putting some of the LDAPPC-NG  work on the Amazon ec2 space.https://mail.internet2.edu/wws/arc/grouper-users/2010-02/msg00000.html

[GrouperWG:AI] TomZ will create a wiki page on the technical architecture of LDAPPC-NG.https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/GrouperWG/LDAPPC-NG+Development

*Carry Over Action Items*

[GrouperWG:AI] (TomB) will investigate starting work on uPortal / Grouper integration
[GrouperWG:AI] (Chris) will start researching integration of Grouper with KIM workflows.

*Discussion*

*Import/Export and GSH Question*

With the export logic changing in Grouper 1.6, should the GSH export command be changed?
Decision: use the existing GSH command for the new method of export.
Create a different GSH command for the older export method. Announce to users
 that the old method of export will not be supported after the release of Grouper 1.6.

The old method of import will be supported for longer.

*Roadmap and Timing for Next Releases*

Decision was to release Grouper 1.6 around SMM (April 2010). This will be an iterative release including:
- Rice KIM integration and associated enhancements to web services
- Subject web service
- Lite UI Enhancement
- Import/export (flattened group membership)
- Ldappc-NG  (version 1)
- Change Notification (version 1)
- Attribute Framework (version 2)

Plan for a more substantial release (Grouper 1.7 or 2.0)  around FMM to include:

- Point in time audit
- Ldappc NG - with fuller functionality (including being plugged into new change log) .
Items on the Roadmap but not yet scheduled for a release:
- Rule-based actions
- External workflow integration
- Federated group membership and privileges
- UNIX GID management
- COmanage freshener (incorporate Grouper  Lite UI, Ldappc-NG, and more into COmanage)

[GrouperWG:AI]  (TomB) will update the Grouper roadmap to reflect the conversation on the working group call.https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/GrouperWG/Grouper+Product+Roadmap

*Dependencies for Flattened Memberships Tables*

Flattened membership is key to Grouper 1.6. The group discussed whether flattened memberships are needed for Ldappc-NG. One issue is that with flattened membership, the state of LDAP is not known, and downstream systems may not work in LDAP. How will point in time audit use the flattened tables? Mirror tables and hooks will be used.

 Question to think about: Should "point in time audit" be called something different since it's used for more than audit?

*Using the Amazon ec2 space*

Chris has Grouper running on Amazon ec2.   Cost is approximately $500/year for a dedicated instance with
with a one-year agreement.

It could be useful to have sample applications on Amazon ec2 that we could give people credentials to.

Having Grouper in the cloud could potentially help with the flow of the testing process around release time.

TomZ will investigate putting Ldappc development work on the Amazon Cloud.

[GrouperWG:AI] TomZ will investigate putting some of the LDAPPC-NG  work on the Amazon ec2 space.

https://mail.internet2.edu/wws/arc/grouper-users/2010-02/msg00000.html

*International Character Question*

Chris has not yet solved the international character issue raised on the Grouper-User list.

Gary is also looking into this.

https://mail.internet2.edu/wws/arc/grouper-users/2010-02/msg00012.html
*Ldappc-NG*
There have been discussions about using Ldappc-NG for other provisioning purposes, without LDAP at other end.

This will be discussed more on a future call.

[GrouperWG:AI] TomZ will create a wiki page on the technical architecture of LDAPPC-NG.https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/GrouperWG/LDAPPC-NG+Development

Next Meeting: Wed., Feb 17, 2010 noon ET

  • No labels