Child pages
  • Grouper Call 30-Sep-09_
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Grouper Call 30-Sep-09

 *Attending*

Gary Brown, Bristol
Shilen Patel, Duke
Bob Morgan, University of Washington
Chris Hyzer, U. Penn
Tom Zeller, U. Memphis,
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2 (scribe)

*Carry Over Action Items*

[GrouperWG:AI] (TomB, TomZ, Shilen, and Chris) will develop FMM presentations of
5-7 minutes, with one or more slides, in these areas:

TomB - Grouper Roadmap
Chris - Looking for partners in areas of audit and attribute framework
Chris - UI
TomZ - Ldappc
Shilen - Performance and namespace transition.

[GrouperWG:AI] (Shilen) will develop comparative performance metrics for Grouper 1.4.2 vs Grouper 1.5
[GrouperWG:AI] (Shilen) will get time estimates for upgrading to Grouper 1.5.
[GrouperWG:AI] (Shilen) will work with Chris on web services versioning strategy.
[GrouperWG:AI] (Everyone) will update JIRA to accurately reflect the work being done.

*DISCUSSION*

*Template for Slide Presentations*

Q: Are we using a standard format for slides to be presented at the FMM WG session in San Antonio?
A: Emily will email the Internet2 template to WG presenters.

*Namespace Topic at FMM WG*

Shilen (rather than Chris) will cover the topic of namespace transition at the FMM WG session.

*Link to KIM documentation*

For the KIM collaboration meeting on Wednesday 7-Oct-09, there is uncertainty of the link to the KIM documentation that should be reviewed.  If anyone knows the link, please email the group.

*Audit Screenshots*

Gary had planned to provide Chris with some UI audit log screen shots. However, Gary has not been able to get the screen shots, due to errors he's getting on the audit page when he checks out the latest Grouper 1.5 code.  Chris is not getting the same errors and so can probably get the screenshots.

*Request on Label Attribute*https://mail.internet2.edu/wws/arc/grouper-users/2009-09/msg00017.html

Chris has been working on the request from the Netherlands on using a label attribute. This might be addressed with a gsh command call, but this takes about 20 seconds.

Gary noted there's a way to work around that involving UI access to the gsh client. An issue is that gsh is a moving target and any code that is written can break at upgrade time.

Chris suggested using Grouper client with web services and allowing parameters to be passed for operations.
Chris will talk with TomB about this at FMM.

*Web Services*

Chris and Shilen will chat about web services and enable/disable.
TomZ: Is attribute framework going to be worked into web services, given format of XML? Can you express the attribute framework in XML to support web services? If an attribute is added to something, it would be good for that to be as obvious as possible.

Chris stated this is not planned for 1.5 release, but eventually, yes.

There are advantages to letting web services handle gsh. Use Tomcat, local web services, or a Daemon.

This is a topic to discuss with TomB in the future.

*U-W Grouper UI*

RL "Bob" mentioned that Jim has a prototype running of the U-W groups services UI and looks forward to showing that at FMM WG session.

Bob has been lobbying to set up federated access to the production U-W groups service, so that people in the Grouper community could see its UI via federation.  But opening up federated access to the service brings up issues of whether current users have an expectation that this service is U-W-only, so that issue has to be worked out.

*Colons and Group Names*

Cornell and others have asked to omit colons from group names during provisioning to Active Directory to be compatible with older NT style domains. We don't have an immediate solution, but there are several options. TomZ has been looking in to this.

At FMM, Chris and TomZ will talk about ways of using hooks to address this.

*Summary of Grouper-related sessions at FMM*

- Grouper Working Group Session
Monday 5-Oct-09, 9:15 - 10:15 amhttp://events.internet2.edu/2009/fall-mm/agenda.cfm?go=session&id=10000852&event=980

- Grouper 1.5 : What's New? A Lot
Tues. 6-Oct-09, 3:00 - 4:00 pmhttp://events.internet2.edu/2009/fall-mm/agenda.cfm?go=session&id=10000749&event=980

- Project OZ - Managing Collaborative Tool Suites for Courses with Grouper Ad-Hoc Groups
Wed. Oct 7, 10:30 - 11:45 amhttp://events.internet2.edu/2009/fall-mm/agenda.cfm?go=session&id=10000784&event=980

- Discussion with Eric Westfall from Kuali Rice re KIM interfaces with Grouper
Wed. 7-Oct-09, 2:30-4:30 pm

- Identity Services for Open Source Software
Thurs., 7-Oct-09,  8:45 - 10:00 amhttp://events.internet2.edu/2009/fall-mm/agenda.cfm?go=session&id=10000767&event=980

Next Meeting: Face to Face 5-Oct-09 in San Antonio

  • No labels