Last reviewed: October 2016March 2017
Recommendations if you are developing a job announcement or description for your institution:
- Review the sample CISO job description (below). Previous job postings from Princeton University and University of Albany are also available (in PDF format).
- Review the National Cybersecurity Workforce Framework published by NIST, which includes sample job titles and key tasks.
- Review the 2016 IT Workforce in Higher Education research hub for the most recent EDUCAUSE research on the evolving IT workforce needed to support contemporary models of IT service delivery.
- Consider alternative solutions, such as Bucknell University, Franklin & Marshall College, and Susquehanna University collaborating to create a joint CISO position among the three institutions. A non-higher ed example is Howard County, Maryland's HOCO CISO program, which provides "virtual" CISOs.
- For potential locations to post IT or information security job openings, visit the Career and Workforce Development chapter.