Working Group Goals & Objectives
The participants in Internet2 K20 Initiatives and persons working on federated identity management and middleware initiatives have identified the need to engage in a coordinated effort to extend effective implementation of the standards. Because a great deal has already been accomplished to develop awareness and create resources that support informed approaches for early adoption in federations of organizations, broader outreach throughout the K20 organizations participating in Internet2 initiatives is considered to be a key factor in the success of shared goals among the networks and constituent organizations. In order to help to further define the scope and articulate the strategic value of mutual efforts of scalable deployment, the K20 Middleware working group will address the following questions:
(1) What opportunities currently exist for broadening outreach and coordinating the formation of federations among K20 networks and systems?
(2) Who else needs or wants to be engaged in this effort?
(3) How shall the working group organize agenda formation, calendar, and conduct future meetings?
Additional topics for discussion which may help identify opportunities for the working group to build broader engagement in shibboleth implementations.
- Large scale assessment systems
- Live online tutoring systems in K12 networks
- Digital rights managment issues for aggregations of content like instructional resources, reference databases, course management software, and portal access
- Inter-institutional, inter-agency, and local, state, and federal information exchange of data - aggregated and disaggregated - educational and personally identifiable information
- Grid computing initiativesOut of the box solutions for districts, regional, and statewide deployment
- New and ongoing development of specific solutions