Fall 2017 NetGurus Meeting
Internet2 will provide NetGurus a room to be set in a closed Board style conference seating to support ~30 participants . The meeting will take place the Thursday after the Technology Exchange (October 15-18, 2017) conference concludes. We will have a projector and screen available if needed by participants.
San Francisco, CA
Water Front A/B, Atrium Lobby Level
Oct. 19, 2017
9:00am - 5:00pm
NOTE: Breakfast and lunch are on your own. A morning and afternoon break with snacks and beverages will be provided. We will go to dinner as a group the night before.
|Wed 6:00pm||Gurus and Guests Dinner|
|On your own|
Break and networking (Pacific Concourse Level shared with Advance CAMP group)
Lunch on your own
Break and networking (outside the Water Front Rooms shared with other groups)
|Thu 5:00pm||Festivities end, must clear out promptly.|
***Note that the dinner is on Wednesday night, instead of after the meeting Thursday.
***Registration is currently closed as of 9/19/17. Please email Dan or Cas if you would like to be put on the cancellation list.
Contact Dan Brisson (email@example.com) or Cas D'Angelo (firstname.lastname@example.org) to RSVP and for topics you wish to discuss during the meeting. Attendance limit is 30.
|4||Michael Van Norman|
Discussion Topics and Notes
Topics are submitted by participants. Please contact Dan Brisson (email@example.com) or Cas D'Angelo (firstname.lastname@example.org) to add an item to the agenda.
- SDN for real, not just as a plaything.
- Intentionally provocative language for the title. Most of what I see in terms of SDN is point solutions (often around the Science DMZ) that seem more oriented towards solving the problem of not having SDN. That’s fine at small scale, and it adds spice to the job, but is it really scalable? What does real SDN in a production, campus network look like? Probably not what has been done to date.
State of IPv6 implementation on campuses across US - SLAAC vs DHCPv6
Device registration portal with IPv6 support - does such a thing exist?
Challenges in tying IPv4 and IPv6 addresses to a user without .1x
- Experiences with NAT64 or some variant
- Data Center Networking:
- Virtualization of the networking
- NSX? Contrail? ACI?
- EVPN? MPLS? VXLAN?
- Extending to the Cloud
- IPv4 - Buying more space vs. NAT?
- Ansible and Salt
- Docker, Docker Swarm, Kubernetes
- 5ghz only SSID?
- Device Registration & Fingerprinting
- Security topics
- DNS RPZ feeds
- Border/Edge Firewalls
- IDS/IPS in-band/out-of-band
- R&E Connectivity
- Traffic flow and pcap monitoring tools
- Cooperative grant funding projects and ideas
Thanks for the Support
Many thanks to our sponsors who have made this meeting possible: