TIER: Production Release 17040
Virtual Machine Images
The links below are to virtual machine images, which are designed to be Docker build/run machines and are preloaded with the appropriate set of Docker containers. The VMs are intended primarily for campuses that do not currently operate container-based applications or are new to container-based applications. We also have Amazon AMIs available, which can be shared, but are not yet public. We are also working on independent container versions of the TIER components, but they are not yet ready for release.
The TIER team is grateful for everyone who evaluates and uses these releases.
Virtual Machine Images and Documentation
If you will be using the released VMs, below are a few suggestions:
- The VMs are designed to be run in VirtualBox. If you are not familiar with VirtualBox, you can read the documentation and download the software from the Oracle's web site.
- Once VirtualBox is installed and running, you import the .ova distribution using the File / Import Appliance function.
- The default network connection for some of the Virtual Machines is NAT. This works well for the case logging into and examing the VM and containers. To connect to services hosted by the VM, you'll likely want to switch the network to bridged mode. This will give the VM an IP address from your network's DHCP server and provide you with the ability to access services from a browser.
- Please review the Release Notes for installation instructions and additional information on VirtualBox setup.
- Remember to change the login password(s) before you place the VMs on a public network.
Need Basic Information?
Visit the TIER 101 page.
TIER Release Reports
Campus Practices Included in the TIER Program
The 17040 release of the TIER components contains functionality from phase 1 of the TIER Instrumentation work. If you need to disable this functionality, you can configure a manual setting in the local Dockerfile on the VM. There is a commented section near the top of the file that instructs you to uncomment a single line below which will disable the TIER Instrumentation functionality.