Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Performance WG Call, 15-Dec-08

Attendees:

Carla Hunt, (Chair)
Ken Lindahl, UC Berkeley
Mike Van Norman, UCLA
John Bigrow, Brookhaven National Laboratory
Joe St Sauver, University of Oregon
Joe Metzger, ESnet
Jeff Boote, Internet2
Aaron Brown, Internet2
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2 (scribe)

Action Items:

[AI] (Everyone) should send ideas or "wish list" items for things they want to see in the Performance tools area to Jeff at boote@internet2.edu for consideration during the upcoming review and planning cycle.

[AI] (Everyone) interested in helping to define what types of data and metrics we would need to prove good performance for telepresence applications should email Jeff at boote@internet2.edu.

 [AI] (Carla) will email a survey to the group with questions about measurement tools and infrastructure.

[AI] (Emily and Susan) will set up a phone conference bridge for the Performance Working Group meeting at Winter 2009 Joint Techs in College Station.        http://jointtechs.es.net/texas2009/

Performance Update

Jeff reported that over the past quarter, emphasis was on:

  • getting the Performance Node ready
    http://www.internet2.edu/performance/node/index.html
  • Internet2 Fall Member Meeting demos (monitoring the DCN links and collecting data)
  • Working on SCInet measurement for SC08  (much of the SCInet measurement was done with perfSONAR, and data was exposed via perfSONAR interfaces, with perfSONAR GUIs and weathermaps).

The Internet2 Performance Group is currently working on:

  • preparing for releases of perfSONAR-Buoy, which facilitates  data collection  over OWAMP and BWCTL. perfSONAR-Buoy has been used at Internet2 over the past couple of years, but has not been publicly available.  There will be a test release in December  in RPM format to support BWCTL only. A full release is planned for January. 
  • OWAMP and BWCTL releases are coming up. These are primarily bug fix releases.
  • The group is doing some project planning, and looking ahead and setting goals for  the next six months to a year. Input is requested.

[AI] (Everyone) should send ideas or "wish list" items for things they want to see in the Performance tools area to Jeff at boote@internet2.edu for consideration during the upcoming review and planning cycle.

BCP Task Force Update

Ken reported that the BCP Task force met on 2-Dec-08.  The group decided that MCNC, UCLA and UC Berkeley should to go ahead and set up test performance nodes. These are not intended to be permanent installations. They are to help the task force understand how these are installed and how they operate. This will assist the task force in formulating recommendations.

The date for the next BCP Task Force conference call is Monday, 19-Jan-09.

Poll on Measurement Tools and Infrastructure

Carla suggested that a poll could be helpful in building our knowledge base of what various organizations are doing in the performance area. She will send out to the list a poll developed by DANTE.

 [AI] (Carla) will email a survey to the group with questions about measurement tools and infrastructure.

Telepresence

Jeff reported that several members are interested in getting the Internet2 network certified by Cisco as being a good telepresence network. Jeff asked if anyone on the call was interested in working on this effort.

Cisco has a donated teleprecense system at UCLA. UC Berkeley also received a telepresence donation from Cisco but implementation has not occurred.

Jeff noted that the performance Cisco likely needs for their certification should not be difficult to achieve. However, the certification would need to be across the Internet2 network and also across other regional and university networks to where the telepresence sites are.  Therefore it would involve deploying more performance nodes out to locations. (And, it is not clear yet specifically what metrics Cisco will require.)

Jeff suggested that perhaps if we establish a goal of publishing our performance profile, then that will give us more leverage. Also, being able to profile what an environment looks like in terms of performance might also have other benefits, including helping with the BCP task force efforts.

 [AI] (Everyone) interested in helping to define what types of data and metrics we would need to prove good performance for telepresence applications should email Jeff at boote@internet2.edu.

Performance WG Meeting at Winter 09 Joint Techs

Carla has sent out a doodle poll to find out people's availability to participate in a WG meeting at Winter 2009 Joint Techs.  There will be dial-in option during the call so those who are not able to travel to College Station can still participate.

[AI] (Emily and Susan) will set up a phone conference bridge for the Performance Working Group meeting at Winter 2009 Joint Techs in College Station.        http://jointtechs.es.net/texas2009/

Meeting Schedule for the Performance WG

Carla suggested that the group meet two Mondays in January:
12-Jan-09 and 26-Jan-09.

Next call will be Monday, 12-Jan-09 at noon ET, 9am Pacific.

  • No labels