Child pages
  • Grouper Call 9-Sept-2015
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

 

Notes: Grouper Call of  Sept 9, 2015

Attending:

Chris Hyzer, U. Penn, chair  

Tom Barton, U. Chicago

Dave Langenberg, University of Chicago

Shilen Patel, Duke  

Bert Bee-Lindgren, Georgia Tech

John Gasper, Unicon

Emily Eisbruch, Internet2

 

Action Items

[AI] (DaveL)  will put up a PSP candidate on the release server

  • look at branches in GH repo

  • fix tags as appropriate

 

[AI] (Bert) provide feedback on Grouper training videos

[AI] (Bert) will look at improvements to doc around UI Authn with CAS. It was noted that several steps are needed, hard to reproduce.

[AI] (Chris) will prepare a few slides for the Grouper BOF

[AI] (Chris and Vivek) will discuss items on the Grouper Roadmap for Vivek to work on, perhaps JDK?

  • Vivek working on 2.3 enhancement re user viewing their audit activity
  • Vivek and Chris will talk about roadmap later on Sept 8 (done)

 

[AI] (Shilen) review code to determine what improvements can be made regarding the issue of PIT tables and change log consumer

Grouper 2.2.2

Goal is to release prior to the Technology Exchange in early Oct.

·        Open issues (build permissions on release folder - use a cron job?, pull request on loader junit (caching is a problem w unit tests), UTF8 file in build, Chris will edit the XML)

·        Fix for priv hook?

·        What testing has been done?

    • Shien: API unit tests
    • Shilen: will test on Oracle
    • Dave: mysql testing

 

·        Identify and assign remaining testing

PSP for the new release?

[AI] (DaveL)  will put up a PSP candidate on the release server

  • look at branches in GH repo

  • fix tags as appropriate

Welcome to New Grouper team members - Misagh Moayyed (Unicon) and Bert Bee-Lindgren (GA Tech)

·        Misagh has been on the Grouper team for a while. He is now in a more official context based on TIER.  Misagh will initially work on new GSH based on Lafayette work, then on build and dependency management (once we have a direction from TIER)

-build scripts are outdated, will wait on this project until TIER sets direction

-will start on GSH

·        Bert will work on Provisioning and transition from Dave (specifics?)

Bert getting up to speed on Grouper in general, hoping to talk with Dave the week of 9/21

[AI] (Bert) provide feedback on Grouper training videos

 

Issue roundup

·         Grouper logging and directories and different logging for different groupers - resolved

·         Oracle driver not found (trying DB from installer?)

·         java8 not working - it will warn you not to use Java 8

 

·         hook that will know when a group delete is happening for privilege remove... (get back)  

Tom Barton asked about this use case and the relationship to delegation.

What if the delegatee down the tree  wants autonomy?

Originally we built into Grouper the ability to block inheritance

JohnG: Two use cases:

  1. A grouper admin role allows help desk to check permissions on every group out  there.
    -looked at having a push? for VIEW and READ to facilitate the help desk role
    -did not want local admin to be able to strip that away
    -need a flag to enable this kind of inheritance management for a certain part of the tree
    Chris delivered the base support as a patch to 2.2.1, but they’ll still be using custom hook to support group

    JohnG: ideally wants Grouper inheritance to work like Windows inheritance works

    JohnG: has found in working w clients that with the new Grouper UI, there is a lack of fine-grained control. Works OK for the Group admins, but others have less control.

 

  1. Student managed groups, where don’t want group admins to add someone to a group where the person can’t opt themselves out. So using a hook to add Opt Out priv to these groups, and a hook to prevent the group admin from removing it.

 

Problem with both of above: the priv hook veto prevents deletion of the group. Chris will provide a flag in 2.2.2 to let dependent/chained hooks know that a parent is being deleted.

 

·         date selector for 2.3 UI improvement - Vivek working on this, Chris will review

·         can’t delete a composite group - [AI] (Shilen) will try to reproduce this

·         google apps provisioner bug with ComparableMemberItem being null - Shilen opened a JIRA and also fixed

·         status servlet identifying loader misconfigurations

·         identify bad jdk version

·         show all activity for a user filtered by dates

·         request for enabled and disabled dates shown on membership screens - Vivek working on this

·         how to do encrypted passwords - handled by community

·         pagination for get subject WS - look at this when we update Subject API

·         protecting Grouper with Shib

·         adding utf8 file to build

·         permissions in build dir

·         loader unit tests and caching

·         gsh and full stack with subject problems and add member

·         first use case for Grouper - suggestion of VPN

·         shadow groups rule



Grouper BOF at 2015 Tech Ex - Tuesday Oct. 7 , 12:30pm - 1:30 pm

https://meetings.internet2.edu/2015-technology-exchange/detail/10004043

Agenda for the Grouper BOF

  • Welcome

  • Agenda Bash

  • Update on Grouper

  • Discuss Minor Release 2.2.2

    • will include the 30-40 patches

  • Grouper Roadmap and scheduling

  • TIER and Grouper

  • Introduce new team member(s)

  • Community Feedback

  • (no pre-arranged presentations)

 

[AI] (Chris) will prepare a few slides for the Grouper BOF at Tech Ex

 

Next Grouper Call: Wed. Sept 23, 2015

  • No labels