Child pages
  • Grouper Call 7-Nov-2012
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Minutes: Grouper Call 7-Nov-2012

Attending:

Chris Hyzer, University of Pennsylvania (stand-in chair)
Jim Fox, University of Washington
Shilen Patel, Duke
Michael Girgis, U. Chicago
Steve Olshansky, Internet2

** New Action Items ***

[AI] (Emily) reach out to frequent contributors on the list for refreshing the case studies

** Carry Over Action Items ***

[AI] (SteveO) add VOOT connector to the Grouper software download page with appropriate disclaimer that it's not fully tested.

[AI] (Jim) create a wiki page documenting the U. Washington's experience using Amazon WS

[AI] (Chris) Upgrade the Grouper demo to the latest Grouper version 2.1

[AI] (SteveO) contact MikeL of TSG to set up a call with Jim and Andrew regarding adding optional Grouper registration to the downloads

[AI] (unassigned) add info to the wiki regarding doing testing on provisioning  

[AI] (unassigned) put test data in the Grouper demo to show using an LDAP source.

DISCUSSION

New Grouper Developer

- Two candidates have been interviewed
- Now is last call for candidates

Training & Outreach Update

- The Grouper Training videos have been well received:
   https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/groupertrain/Grouper+Training

- The work on Grouper Training is about 75% done.
- Three of the four tracks are complete. Work continues on the "End User" track videos.

Sample Youtube view counts:
- First intro video in the Managers Track has 303 views
- "Grouper API Part 1" video --- 180 views
- "Grouper PSP Part 1" video ---  98 views
- "How to Design Groups" video ---  63 views
- "Grouper Permissions" video ---  106 views

Emily will work on soliciting additional Grouper case studies.

[AI] (Emily) reach out to frequent contributors on the list for refreshing the case studies

Grouper v. 2.1.3

https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+GRP+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%222.1.3%22

- Grouper v. 2.1.3 should be released soon.
- Chris will handle the Maven central issue
- There have been some bug fixes that will be added to the release
- Chris will do another build, run tests and prepare the release

Grouper UI Redesign Update

-- User Voice Forum Poll

- Michael sent out the user voice forum to the Grouper-users list to solicit the community's priorities for the UI work

http://grouper.uservoice.com/forums/181594-grouper-v2-2-ui-redesign

- Michael will send another email to remind people to cast their votes

Q: Should we send  the link to the user voice voting to somewhere else besides Grouper-users list?
A: Not sure of a better list, there are 258 people on the Grouper-users list

- If you have lists for Grouper users within your institution, please forward the user voice voting mechanism to them
- Michael will try to extend the outreach within U. Chicago
- the more people submitting votes the better

-- User Interviews at University of Chicago

- Michael and others have been doing interviews with Grouper users at U. Chicago
- it's clear that improved UI navigation is a key need
- making sure users know where they are at any given point
- and understand the context around the task they are trying to accomplish

-- Grouper UI Redesign process -https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+UI+redesign+v2.2

Q: Can developers do any work in parallel?
A: Chris thinks yes, once the developers are finished preparing for the functionality in Grouper 2.2

New functionality will include:
- Group ID item
- Services in Grouper
- Planning for legacy attribute migration
- widgets

Michael:
- would be good to know what widgets are going to be available

Chris:
- will most likely use Dojo or jQuery
- Dojo has predefined widgets
- Michael will research the widgets in Dojo

JimF:
- Dojo is more of a complete development environment, more of an integrated package
- U. Washington uses both Dojo and jQuery
- Jim uses Dojo
- Dojo (version 1.7 and above) has a mobile section, so it's easy to do mobile apps

Chris: Hope to have:
- tree control
- context menus
- a way to do combo box
- tool tips
- hide / show and other AJAX-like features

Planned Features for Grouper 2.2
See roadmap: https://spaces.internet2.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=14517754

- Services in Grouper (Chris)

- Add ability to tag objects in Grouper (via the new attribute framework) so that folders, groups, permissions can be grouped into a "service".  The API/UI/WS could filter search results based on the service to make it easier for users to perform tasks in Grouper.  

- new attribute definition type where type is service
- it's a marker attribute so no data associated w it
- you put it on a group or role or folder or attribute definition
-  a lot of the search API functions will take services into account
- so you could find all the services someone is associated with, based on them being an admin of the service

- Legacy Attribute Migration (Chris)

- Migrate from legacy attributes to the new attribute framework in a transparent way.  The old API and WS and UI should still work correctly.  Plan to migrate lists and hooks as well

- data structures for legacy attributes will go away and there will be migration to new attribute framework
- API calls for legacy attributes will be deprecated
- there will be a folder, identified in grouper properties file, where legacy attributes are stored
- would still need to deal with lists associated with attributes
  - would do that via configuration

- Don't need to worry about XML import / export because the attributes are imported and exported with the new attribute framework

- Stem Set Table (Shilen)

https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-525

- This new stem set table will make it possible to easily find all the stems under a stem. This would be more reliable than the current approach of using wildcards in SQL queries. A stem set table would also easily give you all the parent stems of a stem.
- Shilen has completed most of this work on this

CIFER Project

Chris and Jim have been working with the CIFER project on a standard authorization API, and progress is being made.https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/cifer/Authorization+Standard+API

Next Grouper-dev call: Wed. 21-Nov-2012 at noon ET

  • No labels