Child pages
  • Grouper Call 31-Mar-2010
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Grouper Call 31-Mar-2010

 *Attending*
Tom Barton, U. Chicago  (Chair)
Shilen Patel, Duke
Chris Hyzer, U. Penn
Tom Zeller, U. Memphis
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Emily Eisbruch (scribe)

*New Action Items*

[AI] (Chris) and (TomB) will discuss release procedures.
[AI] (Chris) will update the release steps wiki pagehttps://spaces.internet2.edu/display/GrouperWG/Release+steps
[AI] (SteveO) will assist with web access issues related to the release process.
[AI] (TomZ) will formulate a proposal to handle license and copyright procedures.https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-410
[AI] (TomZ) will open a JIRA for the composite groups and Ldappc issue.https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-409
[AI]  (TomB) will reply to Chris's email on attribute framework defaultshttps://mail.internet2.edu/wws/arc/grouper-dev/2010-03/msg00027.html

*Carry Over Action Items*

[AI] (Chris) will give examples related to v1.6 attribute framework capabilities
[AI] (RobH) will add performance numbers on the ESB connector wiki pagehttps://spaces.internet2.edu/display/~a062734b@cardiff.ac.uk/Grouper+to+ESB+design

For SMM:

Note: these proposed presentations are subject to change.
   [AI] (Shilen and Rob) will present on using the new Grouper priv. mgmt features to manage access in Active Directory.
   [AI] (Chris) will demo the Grouper Kim workflow.
   [AI] Chris will to do a notification proof of concept demo.
   [AI] (Chris) will demo using web services to define permissions.
   [AI] (TomZ) will think about what to say about Ldappc - ng for Grouper 1.6
   [AI] (Shilen) will present on Grouper performance issues
[AI] (TomB) will send Emily an update to the abstract

DISCUSSION

*Releasing Grouper 1.5.3*

Grouper 1.5.3 should be ready for release by Friday, April 2.https://mail.internet2.edu/wws/arc/grouper-users/2010-04/msg00000.html

For those who need the bug fix included in the Grouper 1.5.3 release sooner that Friday, TomZ will send out an emailhttps://mail.internet2.edu/wws/arc/grouper-users/2010-03/msg00031.html
It was noted that there are some disadvantages to making available preliminary versions of a release.

*Release Procedures*

There is a need to document testing procedures for "small" releases and to ensure that more than one
person has the permissions needed to prepare and execute a release.
[AI] (Chris) and (TomB) will discuss release procedures.
[AI] (Chris) will update the release steps wiki pagehttps://spaces.internet2.edu/display/GrouperWG/Release+steps
[AI] (SteveO) will assist with web access issues related to the release process.

*License and Copyright Procedures*

TomB has been talking with Jasig folks about packaging Grouper Client for inclusion in an upcoming uPortal release.
Jasig has licensing requirements similar to Apache, and Grouper follows the Apache 2 license. However, the Jasig/uPortal team found that Grouper license information was incomplete in some modules. We need to ensure correct handling of Grouper copyright and licensing.

Chris has already made sure that the apache license file is each Grouper JAR.https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-408

Suggestions discussed included:

  • Include a single license file with the Apache II license text
    Link to this license file from every JAR file and every source file (using a variable for the license file was discussed but considered problematic)
  • Follow example of the Shibboleth project -- use an Eclipse template to ensure a link to the license is added to all new source files.
  • Use a single external copyright file listing all organizations that have contributed to Grouper, without specifying which organizations contributed to which modules.

[AI] (TomZ) will formulate a proposal to handle license and copyright procedures.https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-410

*Ldappc*

Shilen raised a concern that a group with the includeExclude type will be provisioned with the _includes and _systemOfRecord groups as members, which doesn't seem to be correct. TomZ will research this issue.

[AI] (TomZ) will open a JIRA for the composite groups and Ldappc issue.https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-409

*Attribute Framework*

Chris is working on the attribute framework for the Grouper 1.6 release. He would appreciate feedback on the info on the wiki and in this email:

https://mail.internet2.edu/wws/arc/grouper-dev/2010-03/msg00027.htmlhttps://spaces.internet2.edu/display/GrouperWG/Grouper+attribute+framework

[AI]  (TomB) will reply to Chris's email on attribute framework defaults

Next Meeting: Wed. April 14, noon ET

  • No labels