Child pages
  • Grouper Call 30-Mar-2011
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Minutes: Grouper Call 30-Mar-2011

Attendees

Tom Barton, University of Chicago (chair)
Chris Hyzer, University of Pennsylvania
Shilen Patel, Duke
Jim Fox, University of Washington
Gary Brown, Bristol
Lynn Garrison, Penn State
Tom Zeller, U. Memphis
Ann West, Internet2
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2 (scribe)

New Action Item

*** For Grouper 2.0 Release: Code freeze on Monday, May 16 ****

[AI] (TomZ) will capture on JIRA the various provisioning and LDAPPC issues and requests ( DONE http://bit.ly/h9Mfw0 )
 
[AI] (Chris) will implement member search and sort in the Lite UI

[AI] (Shilen) will implement  member search and sort in the Grouper Admin UI

[AI] (Chris) will create a wiki page capturing info on the Penn upgrade form Grouper 1.6 to Grouper 1.7

[AI] (All) will list planned work for the Grouper 2.0 release on this wiki page:   https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+highlights+2.0

Carry Over Action Items

[AI] (Chris) will put attribute framework UI work on demo site

[AI] (Rob) will follow up with Danno on obtaining the server for the Continuous Integration Environment.

[AI] (TomZ and Chris) will discuss/work on LDAP Grouper Loader for importing groups. JIRA 442

[AI] (Everyone) review Rob's chapters and give him feedback on the Grouper Users List.

[AI] (TomB) will explore new international participation for work on the Grouper UI (status: will handle this on release of Grouper 2.0)

Reminder:   Agendize Grouper UI strategy for after the release of Grouper 2.0.

DISCUSSION

Integrity Issues

Shilen reported that he created JIRA issues about integrity bugs, including:

    • Sync Point in Time tables (JIRA 583)  https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-583
    • Sync Set Tables (JIRA 582) https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-582
    • Composite Issue - Chris had previously created this JIRA. Shilen added a comment stating human intervention should not be required https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-575

Planning for Grouper WG at SMM  (April 18, 2011, 10:30 AM - 11:45 AM)

Lynn commented on topics of interest to Penn State:

    • Penn State is concerned about the LDAP provisioning, they need good performance and need real-time provisioning
    • Currently the group structure at Penn State is built around LDAP
    • Would be tough for Penn State to deploy Grouper right now; provisioning is crucial
    • Critical concern is on real-time access to groups
    • Faculty and staff groups are less of a concern than course groups. User managed groups need to be accessible right away.
    • Jim commented that U-Washington has developed an approach bringing LDAP groups into Grouper, as covered in this 2010 FMM presentation: http://www.internet2.edu/presentations/fall10/20101102-grouper-fox.pdf
    • Penn State also interested in auditing and impact on performance
    • Lynn would be interested in clarification of the terminology in the Grouper Shell versus the UI

Chris asked:  Would it be possible --- as a stop gap until LDAPPC supports real-time incremental provisioning (see GRP 592) --- for Penn State to use the approach that Rob used at Cardiff (run once a night , then in the middle of the day use a custom change log listener) ?

TomZ said he plans to look at the change log and pass it through the LDAPPC config file to see if it will work.

TomZ has been discussing solutions with the Shib team.

[AI] (TomZ) will capture on JIRA the various provisioning and ldappc issues and requests ( DONE http://bit.ly/h9Mfw0 )

A good topic for the Grouper WG at  SMM is LDAP provisioning, from deployers' side.

TomZ would like to hear from folks regarding LDAPPC and decide what is the best way to move forward. Could be a spirited discussion. Many people might have a perspective similar to Penn State's. Lynn and other Penn State team members will be at the Grouper WG at SMM and will contribute to the discussion.

Other possible topics for discussion at the 2011 SMM Grouper WG:

  • point in time audit (Shilen can do a short point-in-time web services demo)
  • rules
  • external people
  • syncing Groupers
  • new UI for attributes
  • Penn's collaborative app.
  • Search and sort in member table
  • Attribute framework UI (Chris can do a demo)
  • Mention the standard group service that FIFER is working on https://wiki.jasig.org/display/FIFER/API
  • Mention federated Grouper
  • Interest in working with Google Groups

Especially Interesting:

  • Member search and sort
  • Rules
  • Attribute UI

Q: Can we do a demo to show the membership search and sort?
A: Need to work on implementing membership search and sort in the API and in the UI

[AI] (Chris) will implement member search and sort in the Lite UI

[AI] (Shilen) will implement  member search and sort in the Grouper Admin UI

Chris might demo U. Penn's collaborative application --- and at the same time, show rules and external people. Some risk that this demo could be too complex. Chris will make a movie that is not too complicated.

JimF mentioned interest in the proposed upgrade path to next version of Grouper. How easy will it be to do a seamless upgrade with minimal downtime?
Chris can talk about Penn's upgrade from 1.6 to Grouper 1.7. There was not much of an outage. Penn put the UI and web services in read-only mode and did the upgrade in the background.

[AI] (Chris) will create a wiki page capturing info on the Penn upgrade form Grouper 1.6 to Grouper 1.7

Chris noted that point-in-time audit tables in Grouper 1.7 or Grouper 2.0 add space, so the database needs to add resources to the tables.

Q: Is Point in time is optional?

A: No, point in time can’t be turned off. If the change log Daemon is running, the change log  will be populated. If the change log Daemon is not running , the entires will stay in the temp change log and won't get copied to the real change log, and the flat notifications won't happen.

Rough Agenda for Grouper WG at SMM:

- Welcome

- Time for attendees to raise issues

- Roadmap presentation (high level)

- Shilen (point-in-time audit and membership search and sort) -- 10 minutes

- Chris (Rules, Attribute UI and Upgrade) -- 20 minutes

- LDAP provisioning discussion – 20- 25 minutes

Grouper 2.0 Planning

What features will be included in Grouper 2.0 and what features are "on the bubble" ?

TomZ : Work on LDAPPC includes:

  • Make it faster, improve performance (TomZ has been discussing this with Chad)
  • Fixing issues raised by Scott Koranda
  • Issues related to caching

Shilen:

  • subject search and sort is top priority
  • Fixing data integrity bugs is top priority
  • Note sure about these for the Grouper 2.0 release:
    • may hold off on the point in time audit UI\
    • XML import export .... may hold off on that for next release.

Chris:

  - Chris not sure about these for Grouper 2.0, most likely for later release:

  • Uportal integration is on hold, waiting for feedback from uPortal team on difficulty getting uPortal to run on Chris's dev machine
  • LDAP Grouper Loader for importing groups item that has been an AI for months (not a top priority?)
  • UI screens --for role hierarchies
  • UI screen  for viewing and assigning attribute ( will be challenging since there are 12 different owner types to assign to)
  • UI screen to view and assign permissions

[AI] (All) will list planned work for the Grouper 2.0 release on this wiki page:   https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+highlights+2.0

Grouper 2.0 Release Schedule

  • Code freeze on Monday, May 16
  • Work towards Wed., June 1 for release
  • Package on Friday, June 3 for release during week of June 6

Next Call: Wednesday, April 14, 2011 at noon ET

_______________________________________________________
Upcoming Meetings of Interest:

Grouper Working Group at SMM , April 18, 2011, 10:30 AM - 11:45 AM

Also at SMM: "Balancing Risk and Opportunity for an Institutional Groups Service," *Michael Brogan , University of Washington,  April 19, 2011, 8:45 AM - 10:00 AM

Getting Started With Grouper Seminar (the Sunday before Jasig), May 22, 2011   https://www.concentra-cms.com/program/Jasig/48/283.html

Jasig Spotlight on Open Source: http://www.jasig.org/jasigs-spotlight-open-source

Advance CAMP  [https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/ACAMPIdSummit2011/Home]|display/ACAMPIdSummit2011/Home

  • No labels