Child pages
  • Grouper Call 29-Jan-2014
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Minutes: Grouper-Dev call of 29-Jan-2014

Attending

Chris Hyzer, Penn (stand-in chair)
Jim Fox, University of Washington
Shilen Patel, Duke
Vivek Sachdeva, UCLA
Dave Langenberg, U. Chicago
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2, scribe

New Action items

[AI] (Chris) will respond to the CMU inquiry about exact match searching and cc the Grouper-dev list

[AI] DaveL handle response to the Shib Grouper question. https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2014-02/msg00004.html
 
[AI] Chris respond to Bill about presenting at the Apereo Conference

[AI] (Chris) create a JIRA about Grouper Loader handling of Unresolvable Subjects https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2014-01/msg00047.html

[AI] (Chris) reply to UCLA about null pointer exception and permissions on Web Services (DONE, see JIRA 954)
 https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-954

Carry Over Action items

[AI] (Chris) will look at POST and GET parameter issues, identified as a flawed design pattern from the PEN testing

[AI] (Shilen) email the Grouper users list about import and export  

[AI] (DaveL) work on the PSP aspect of GRP 914.  

[AI] (Andrew) let us know what emerges from the Apereo security notification process work.

DISCUSSION

Summary of Recent Issues on the Grouper Email Lists

-------------------------

Issue: PSP error with 1500 members in group

Response: DaveL created a JIRA. https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-949

--------------------------

Issue: Univ. of Utah question on rename stems.

Response: DaveL responded. https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2014-01/msg00032.html
See JIRA: https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-950

--------------------------

Issue:  UCLA asked about best approaches for importing roles.permissions, and folders

Response: Chris shared info on how to use GSH scripts to make roles and permissions.
Note that the Quickstart is somewhat outdated, so it's better to use GSH, including for making folders.

--------------------------

Issue: (this was not on the public Grouper lists, but was directed to Chris)
Request from CMU about using "=searchterm" or "term1,term2,term3" to do exact match searching.

Response: Chris will look into implementing a checkbox that says "Match Exact IDs"

[AI] (Chris) will respond to the CMU inquiry about exact match searching and cc the Grouper-dev list

--------------------------

Issue: Need a membership data connector https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2014-01/msg00054.html

Response: DaveL opened a JIRA  https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-951

--------------------------

Issue: UCLA inquired about permissions on Web Services

Response: Chris has replied and created JIRA 954
 https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-954

--------------------------

Issue: U. of Utah asked about Grouper loader and unresolvable subjects. Would be good have an option to ignore unresolvable subjects in the Grouper Loader. DaveL noted this is an issue at U. Chicago also. https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2014-01/msg00047.html

Response:
[AI] (Chris) create a JIRA about Grouper Loader handling of Unresolvable Subjects https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2014-01/msg00047.html

--------------------------

Issue: AD provisioning: https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2014-01/msg00050.html

Response: this email was received during the Grouper-dev call. The Grouper-core groups needs to think about this and respond. Is a validation hook needed? Would a rule be useful?

--------------------------

Shibboleth Grouper Integration

https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2014-02/msg00004.html

DaveL is responding to the question on the Grouper-users list about integration with Shibboleth, especially how to install the Grouper/Shib connector in Shib. Additional documentation is needed beyond what is already here:

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+Shibboleth+Integration https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Exposing+Groups+Through+Shibboleth

DaveL has created a JIRA about developing this documentation.  https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-952
This additional documention might be located in the Shib contributions area or might be in the Grouper wiki. In either case, it will make sense to link to it from the other place.  In the documentation, DaveL will note that from a high-level architecture point of view, it's better to push group membership information to LDAP/AD where Shibboleth will grab it along with the other attributes or to use the RDBMS Connector and query the grouper database via it's various views

Q: Do we have a training video on Shib Integration topic?

A: Yes It's in the PSP training videos

[AI] DaveL handle response to the Shib Grouper question. https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2014-02/msg00004.html
Grouper V. 2.2 https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+UI+redesign+v2.2
 
Chris is making progress on the new Grouper 2.2 UI.
Will probably make it possible to explicitly view a group's group privileges, a group's folder privileges, and a group's attribute definition privileges.
Then Chris will work more on the subject screen regarding displaying the subject's membership and privileges, etc.
Chris has also been working on the API and setting up the ability to query for which objects a group has privileges on. This approach can be used for subjects too.

SCIM https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+SCIM+integration

DaveL and Chris have been in communication about the SCIM work. Dave was putting SCIM work into Grouper API area.
Now he is putting the SCIM work into the Grouper MISC area.

Attriibute Legacy Migration work: no update

Grouper 2.2 Release

Vivek commented that UCLA was thinking about creating a custom UI, but is impressed by the new Grouper UI and is hoping to use that.
When is the Grouper 2.2 release planned?   Answer: hopefully in spring.
Next Grouper-Dev Call: Wed. Feb, 12, 2014 at noon ET

  • No labels