Child pages
  • Grouper Call 29-Aug-2012
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

 Minutes, Grouper Call 29-Aug-2012

Tom Barton, University of Chicago (Chair)
Shilen Patel, Duke  
Jim Fox, University of Washington  
Andrew Petro, Unicon
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2, scribe

New Action Items

[AI] (TomB) discuss with Michael G presentation on Grouper UI work at 2012 FMM Grouper WG

[AI] (Emily) create draft agenda for Grouper WG at 2012 FMM (DONE) https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/FMM+2012+Grouper+WG+Draft+Agenda

[AI] (Emily) add more explanatory and welcoming text  to the Grouper WG abstract for FMM http://events.internet2.edu/2012/fall-mm/agenda.cfm?go=session&id=10002529&event=1149

[AI] (TomB) ask the users list for input at the WG on their Grouper deployment (DONE) https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2012-08/msg00138.html

Carry Over Action Items

[AI] (Chris) will create a doc page explaining steps for a minor upgrade, taking info from the training video

[AI] (Chris) update the software download page  

[AI] (Emily) review the Grouper doc wiki and make suggestions

[AI] (Chris) upgrade the Grouper demo to the latest Grouper version 2.1

[AI] (TomZ) add info to the wiki regarding doing testing on provisioning  

[AI] (TomZ) put test data in the Grouper demo to show using an LDAP source.

[AI] (SteveO) contact MikeL of TSG to set up a call with Jim and Andrew regarding adding optional Grouper registration to the downloads  (postponed until after 2012 FMM)

========

DISCUSSION

Funding is in place for a U. Chicago UI expert to continue consulting on the UI work on the Grouper project.
This person will most likely begin to re-engage on the Grouper UI work in Oct. 2012

Grouper 2.1.2 Release

-Waiting for an update from TomZ on the PSP and AD work that is important for Grouper 2.1.2.
-Chris informed the list that except for the PSP, the .zip and .tar files for Grouper 2.1.2 are available.

Internet2 2012 FMM

Monday, Oct. 1,  9:30am - 10:30am http://events.internet2.edu/2012/fall-mm/agenda.cfm?go=session&id=10002529&event=1149

Discussion of agenda for Grouper WG at FMM

Andrew:
 - the UX improvements are important to highlight
 - another challenge: people sometimes get tripped up on the concepts in Grouper
       - such as difference between groups, roles, memberships, attributes
      - TomB's slides and training video are helpful
        - If you don't grasp the advanced topics, of roles, Grouper can be like LDAP
        - case studies can help show the potential of Grouper
         - the U- Chicago examples/ use cases in Tom Barton's intro slides are extremely helpful

Jim:
- Some people's confusion could be that access permissions are an application of the group system, but not the same as the group system
- a structure where the group system and the access system are two different systems is easier to understand
- For example, at U. Washington, there is ASTRA for permissions and Grouper for groups
- Internet2 Middleware Initiative offerings had that structure when the Signet project was active.

- Having different Grouper UIs for groups versus for permissions could be helpful

Jim:
  - solicit requirements from attendees for future Grouper releases
   -  RESTful interface for a group system
            - may be discussed at ACAMP
            - would like Grouper to be able to support this at least

For the UI work, there won't be new development to demo at FMM, but can discuss the direction that has been determined.

[AI] (TomB) discuss with Michael G presentation on Grouper UI work at 2012 FMM Grouper WG

- Would be good to get new faces involved
- Draw new people into the discussion

[AI] (Emily) add more explanatory and welcoming text  to the Grouper WG abstract for FMM http://events.internet2.edu/2012/fall-mm/agenda.cfm?go=session&id=10002529&event=1149

[AI] (TomB) ask the users list for input at the WG on their Grouper deployment

- good to create the agenda on the spot, after asking the group about their issues
- more time for that, less for prepared slides
 - ask Grouper adopters in the room to share what they are doing

potentially:
   Shilen can present updates on Grouper at Duke, including Active Directory integration.
   JimF can share news about Grouper at U-Washington

Mention the Session "Grouper after Groups - Enabling Net+ Services with PAP, PEP, and PDP, Oh My!" on Wed., 3-Oct, 4:30-5:30pm in Independence A
Mention the session " IAM Solutions for the Community from the Community: CIFER and Friends" on Thurs 4-Oct at 10:30am in Philadelphia North room

[AI] (Emily) create draft agenda for Grouper WG at 2012 FMM (DONE) https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/FMM+2012+Grouper+WG+Draft+Agenda

Lightweight Registration with Grouper Downloads

- Would be good to further explore lightweight registration when you download Grouper
- easy to opt out of
- there would be an HTML form, a little app
- whoever maintains this data will maintain the app

Q: Why wouldn't everybody opt out?
A:  Reward is to be informed (via email) about updates and patches etc

mention on the HTML page that we welcome input, or just keep it very brief?

SteveO will do a mockup

Next Grouper-Dev Call: Wed. 12-Sept. 2012 at noon ET

  • No labels