Child pages
  • Grouper Call 23-Sept-2015
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

 

Notes: Grouper Call of  Sept 23, 2015

Attendees:

Chris Hyzer, U. Penn, chair  

Tom Barton, U. Chicago

Dave Langenberg, University of Chicago

Shilen Patel, Duke  

Bert Bee-Lindgren, Georgia Tech

Misagh (Unicon)

Action Items from Sept 9 call:

[AI] (DaveL)  will put up a PSP candidate on the release server

  • look at branches in GH repo

  • fix tags as appropriate

In progress. Hopefully done today.

====

[AI] (Bert) provide feedback on Grouper training videos (No feedback as yet.)

[AI] (Bert) will look at improvements to doc around UI Authn with CAS. It was noted that several steps are needed, hard to reproduce. (Keep open).

[AI] (Chris) prepare a few slides for the Grouper BOF at Tech Ex (Done, will send out for review)

[AI] (Shilen) review code to determine what improvements can be made regarding the issue of PIT tables and change log consumer
(Done. No magic bullet.Possibly split activities across hooks and change log consumers)

 

[AI] (Shilen) Add to PSPng wiki that messaging can happen from hooks

 

Discussion

Google scribing doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/12ov_Y4mIWCnaVrb43T47F857lxTj1Uvguiu7eBTIFdQ/edit

 Grouper 2.2.2

·        PSP build? --

Working on it now, hopefully done today.

DaveL will run it through a few tests which mean it’s ready to release

·        Open issues that would stop the release?

Need to test upgrades from 2.2.1

And from 2.1 [Shilen]

Need to retest installation after some fixes

Need to draft a release-candidate notice email, review by team, send out on Thursday

 

·        What testing has been done?

Shilen: Oracle testing, using Installer and last week’s tarball

Chris: HSQL testing

 

·        Identify and assign remaining testing

(In addition to testing listed in open-issues)

PSP

  Issue roundup

·         Deleting a composite: Created unit test and fix [ChrisH]

·         UI headers: Figured out by customer

·         Unix permissions and accounts: Bert needs to test this

·         Priv hooks:

[John Gasper] Hard part was API calls that needed to know about ??

Delegate of a group, stem or attribute can ask if an attribute is assigned and result will be cached

Permissions that can’t be deleted unless group is being deleted

Read-only admins

 

·         WS actions (Vivek): Improving WS support for attributes and permissions. #1 is Actions on permissions (query, add, remove)

 

·         Log4j and various webapps/components: People interested in how to change where log messages go.

 

·         Composites and deprovisioning: Want better UI support for rules. Bump this priority?

 

·         Vt-ldap pooling: still didn’t work. Uses a reflection-like configuration (ldap.properties are automatically assigned to engines. Booleans don’t work (isX vs getX). Subject Api now processes the booleans separately.

 

·         WS tests: Tests were tweaked for 2.2.2

 

·         Grouper installer without network: Changed docs to give a better example. Installer was fetching patches instead of looking locally.

 

·         Error on installer (DB error, Shilen fixed it): Running registry.. was dropping tables, but MemberFinder kept objects cached. Fix was to clear cache after tables dropped.

 

·         GSH and file encoding: Sets jvm file-encoding parameter to utf-8 in gsh.sh/.bat. This can probably be overridden with an env variable

 

·         Auto provision users in grouper https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-1201

Give users a folder automatically [eg, demo server]. grouperui.properties can be pointed to a subject-attribute that does this. Might be problems with special characters (:) in usernames. Escape or replace colons… just let usernames with colons create folders. Fix if someone complains.

 

·         Loader an irresolvable

Right now loader queries should have subjects that are resolvable.  Its on the roadmap to fix this.  They requested it per DB connection (e.g. not grouper db but others)

 

Tech Exchange

Slide Bullets:

2.2.2 is the new version for the 2.2 branch.

That is where patches will be maintained/added.

Try to not patch 2.2.1

 

Chris will send out presentation.

Release should be out Thurs or Fri. (including release notes/announcement)

-Releases are less frequent because patches are automatically applied by installer

- 2.2.1 + patches ~= 2.2.2

-2.2.2 enhancements:

***Readonly and viewonly admin groups

**Grouper loader failsafe threshold

Refresh loader group from UI

New hooks (unique objects names [perhaps case insensitive], privilege inheritance)

Rename include/exclude affects all groups

Add composite details to membership list

Startup checks for Java version and UTF-8 abilities

Move and copy from WS

Auto-create user folders

 

TIER Call

-Harmonize

-Docker or a VM Appliance

-Break-off into teams:Package management, library versions, java versions

-Common APIs - institutions are interested and they are a priority for TIER and need to be on roadmaps

 

Grouper BoF agenda for Tech Ex

https://meetings.internet2.edu/2015-technology-exchange/detail/10004043/

  • Welcome
  • Agenda bash
  • Release 2.2.2
  • Roadmap and scheduling
  • TIER
  • New team members - introductions
  • Community feedback


 Grouper  call on Oct 7 cancelled due to Tech Ex in Cleveland

Next Grouper call: Wed., Oct 21


 

  • No labels