Child pages
  • Grouper Call 23-April-2014
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

 MInutes: Grouper-dev call of April 23, 2014

Attending

Tom Barton, University of Chicago (Chair)
Chris Hyzer, University of Pennsylvania
Shilen Patel, Duke University   
Dave Langenberg, University of Chicago  
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2, scribe

New Action items

[AI] (Dave) update the Release Steps checklist for PSP/ connector stepshttps://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Release+steps

[AI] (Tom) ask U. Chicago security staff if they can do Penetration testing on the Grouper Demo

[AI] (Shilen) create a training video on the new Grouper UI

[AI] (DaveL) move the SCIM code to SVN.

[AI] (Shilen) will ask Scott Koranda to review the upgrade process.  
Carry Over Action items

[AI] (Jim) make the University of Washington group events AD updating code available on GitHub and document its availability  on the Community Contributions page.https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/University+of+Washington+Grouper+Project+Page

   and in table at bottom of this page:https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Community+Contributions

[AI] (Shilen) investigate ways to get new attribtues in a single step

[AI] (Shilen) continue to do performance testing on Grouper 2.2

[AI) (DaveL) look at PSP ChangeLogDataConnector Inconsistency issuehttps://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2014-02/msg00047.html

[AI] (DaveL) write up the doc related to the Shib Grouper question.https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2014-02/msg00004.html

[AI] (DaveL) work on the PSP aspect of GRP 914.  

DISCUSSION

Performance Testing

Shilen has started performance testing on Grouper 2.2, and will continue this work, including doing some profiling.
Could potentially lead to changes on the API.
Grouper BoF at  2014 Global Summit in Denver

Notes are available at :https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+Call+9-April-2014+BOF+at+Global+Summit

Tom reported that there was discussion about provisioning strategy
Some community members are interested in seeing the Grouper project move towards use of Apache ActiveMQ
At a future call, we should talk about how to make it easier for contributed connectors to be integrated into the Grouper toolkit.

-Chicago has a lot of neat one-off custom work, and it's not written in JAVA
-there is maintainability issue with contributed code
-maybe contributors will be asked  to do the maintenance?

Bill Thompson suggested there should be a service management UI
-for delegating access to collaboration tools like wikis, mail lists etc., possibly using checkboxes
- Duke Toolkits UI is a good example
Concern:
-this needs to be tailored at each institution.
-Challenging to make this generic, since each site has different tools
Comment: There is some overlap here with the work that the COmanage project is doing

Another UI use case requested by Bill Thompson:
-A UI to for auditing or attestation
-need a broader reporting of changes for audit purposes, not just lookup capability
-So one could say: Here's a group of people, show me all of their membership changes over a period of time

Tom: would be good to have additional workflow based capabilities
-such as ability to notify admins to do periodic reviews of group membership
-and check  who has been added and removed from a group
-There is not much of a gap between what Grouper currently does already and what is needed to make it an attestation tool

[AI] Chris put the audit report work on the Grouper roadmap ("Auditing in UI") and create a JIRA (done)

Grouper v2.2 - status of remaining elements

CSRF: Chris working on CSRF. It works in the local environment, but there are issues with putting CSRF on the demo.

Grouper UI: Several community members have registered for the demo server to do testing on the new Grouper UI.
Feedback has been quite positive.
Kudos to both Michael Girgis for the design of  the UI and to Chris for the implementation.

SCIM Work: DaveL is communicating with Bas at SURFnet about the SCIM work and hopes to send Bas the code to test before long.
[AI] (DaveL) move the SCIM code to SVN.

Legacy attribute migration: Shilen is done with the Legacy Attribute migration work.

Upgrade Process: [AI] (Shilen) will ask Scott Koranda to review the upgrade process.  
Grouper Release Stepshttps://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Release+steps

SCIM will be under the Grouper MISC category.

PSP is in a separate repository.
Chris will do the tagging for it for future releases.

[AI] (Dave) update the Release Steps checklist for PSP/ Connector steps

Grouper Installer may be need tweaking for Grouper 2.2 to accommodate the properties file overlay

Q: Will the installer need tweaking for the SCIM connector?
A: probably not

There are some possible issues around Web XML file or web core
Chris: There are custom error code files for HTTP things that can happen
They worked fine for admin ui

But LITE UI and new UI comes from different paths and getting some "file not found" issues on the demo server
-So Chris took those sections out and this means the custom error pages won't work
-But the new UI displays its own error pages

Security Review

[AI] (Tom) ask U. Chicago security staff if they can do Penetration testing on the Grouper Demo

Target Date for Grouper 2.2 Release

Shilen will review the API unit tests that he ran previously.
-Goal to try to wrap up release by May 21, with release on May 23.

Training Video: Shilen will work on the Grouper training video on the new UI

Next Grouper-dev call : Wed., May 7, 2014  
(Tom not available to chair the May 7 call)

 
 

Emily Eisbruch, Technology Transfer Analyst
Internet2
emily@internet2.edu
office: +1-734-352-4996 | mobile +1-734-730-5749

  • No labels