Child pages
  • Grouper Call 20-June -2012
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Draft Minutes, Grouper Call 20-June-2012

Attending
Chris Hyzer, University of Pennsylvania  (stand-in chair)
Steven Carmody, Brown
Shilen Patel, Duke  
Tom Zeller, Unicon
Steve Olshansky, Internet2  
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2, scribe

New Action Items

[AI] (Shilen) create a JIRA for filtering objected from getting synched. (DONE)https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-813

[AI] (Shilen) create a JIRA for memory issue with bulk sync. (DONE)
https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-812

[AI] (Shilen) communicate with Michael around UI issues --  how many UIs and Mobile First approach. (DONE) https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-dev/2012-06/msg00035.html

[AI] (Chris) will discuss with Michael the idea of having "favorites" display on a "Welcome to Grouper" screen, as illustrated at https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+UI+redesign+v2.2
   
[AI] (Chirs) will document in Upgrade Steps the change of the Grouper WS default rest like format ( JSON from XHTML)  https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-807

Carry Over Action Items

[AI] (Chris) upgrade the Grouper demo to the latest Grouper version 2.1

[AI] (Michael) will look into conducting user interviews

[AI] (TomB) follow up with ScottK about cloning approaches.

[AI] (TomB) will connect TomZ with the U. Chicago Drupal use case on the topic of representing/provisioning role/perm info.  

[AI] (TomZ) add info to the wiki regarding doing testing on provisioning  

[AI] (TomZ) will look into representing/provisioning role/perm info: how should it be "provisioned"? Or should all consumers call back into Grouper?

[AI] (TomZ) will put test data in the Grouper demo to show using an LDAP source.

[AI] (TomZ) will review the Grouper LDAP Loader doc and provide feedback to Chris, possibly with lessons learned from LDAPPC work. https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+-+Loader+LDAP

[AI] (Emily) Initiate an overall Grouper Features table with brief descriptions and links to documentation

[AI] (Rob) will follow up with Danno on obtaining the server for the Continuous Integration Environment.  

[AI] (Everyone) review Rob's chapters and give him feedback on the Grouper Users List.

===========

DISCUSSION

Grouper 2.1.1 Release

TomZ reports that the PSP work primarily done. He will wrap up by Friday, June 22.

Code Freeze for Grouper 2.1.1 is Friday, June 22

Can start testing this weekend June 23-24.

Target Date for Release of Grouper 2.1.1 is Wed. June 27

Issues related to filtering objects and bulk sync

Shilen mentioned two issues that should be addressed moving forward, but most likely there will not be time for these issues for the Grouper 2.1.1 release.

Shilen will submit these to JIRA.

[AI] (Shilen) create a JIRA for filtering objected from getting synched. (DONE)https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-813

[AI] (Shilen) create a JIRA for memory issue with bulk sync. (DONE)https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-812

============

UI Planning

Brown University Use Cases

- Brown is looking at use cases related to the Grouper UI, as mentioned in this email:https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-dev/2012-06/msg00004.html
- Brown plans to make the Grouper UI available to a larger set of people in a wider variety of contexts
- there will be Brown users with a wide range of skills and responsibilities, some more technical than others
- How will the UI design to differentiate /serve experienced versus naive users?

- one issue is using the UI to edit a group
- there is a difference between what the user perceives versus the plumbing we have created

- situations of data coming from a business system, where the user needs to fine-tune that data
- in order to fine tune it, the user needs to see the base at the same time they are tuning it
- those are stored in different groups
- The UI redesign page row #16 "encapsulated composites" addresses this issue.:
says: "Would be nice if the UI treated include/exclude lists and require groups  differently (maybe if they follow a naming convention) so the user doesnt need to know which group is the whitelist etc, the UI makes it easy.  Maybe this is in phase 2...  If looking at the full group the UI knows to edit the whitelist etc. "

-The idea is that the user sees one list, and does not care if this is from SOR or white list; they just need to know that they just added or deleted to a group

-Example: " I want to edit the anthropology group; please don't bother me with composites and includes"

-The technical people can still see be able to see the "plumbing"

-This would decrease the documentation that end users would need.

Batch Membership Update from UI

Univ. Montreal (20-June-2012 email) requests "Batch membership update from UI" --  the ability to easily assign multiple groups to a subject.
This request is ow #19 in the table at:https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+UI+redesign+v2.2#GrouperUIredesignv2.2-community

Chris: On the lite UI permission screens, you specify the user and the permission ---that then serves as the filter for the screen.

-Could do something similar for memberships. At top of screen you specify the  person or the group, you see all the memberships for that filter. Then to add, you can use the combo(?) box to select a new group or a new person. )

- Having more ways to filter the data is a benefit

Review of Requirements Page

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/UI+Requirements

Looks good.

Q: Will we have one or multiple UIs?
 - will the requirements need to take that into account?
 - which requirements qualify for Mobile First?

[AI] (Shilen) communicate with Michael around UI issues --  how many UIs and Mobile First approach. (DONE)https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-dev/2012-06/msg00035.html

Chris:
As we eliminate the privilege interfaces, can we treat privileges like other membership lists?
Then you can filter for privileges.

Chris:
Would be good to add something about favorites/services on the requirements page.

[AI] (Chris) will discuss with Michael the idea of having "favorites" display on a "Welcome to Grouper" screen, as illustrated at https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+UI+redesign+v2.2

=================

WS Default Restlike Format (XHTML? XML? JSON?)

- Issue: the current default restlike is XHTML and it is not very popular.
- People see XHTML as the default in WS and try  to use it.

- Decision: change the default to the more popular JSON.
   
[AI] (Chirs) will document in Upgrade Steps the change of the Grouper WS default restlike format (JSON from XHTML)  https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-807

Next Call: Wed. 18-July-2012 at noon ET

  • No labels