Child pages
  • Grouper Call 17-Aug-2011
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Minutes: Grouper-dev Call 17-Aug-2011

Attending

Tom Barton, University of Chicago (chair)
Gary Brown, Bristol
Shilen Patel, Duke
Jim Fox, University of Washington
Bert Bee-Lindgren, Georgia Tech
Lynn Garrison, Penn State
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2 (scribe)

New Action Items

[AI] (Shilen) will review the system admin page for needed updateshttps://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+-+Systems+Administration

[AI] (Shilen) will create the v2.0 release notes page

[AI] (SteveO) will take a snap shot of Grouper current documentation and archive it

[AI] (Shilen) and (SteveO) will review the documentation product pages

[AI] (SteveO) will add links to the Grouper demo from the appropriate web and wiki pages.

[AI] (Gary) will email the Grouper-Dev list with specifics on UI accessibility issues

[AI] (TomB) will update the Grouper roadmap for 2.1 realtime provisioning

[AI] (Jim) will email the group listing the issues with README files (DONE)

Carry Over Action Items

[AI] (Shilen) will talk with uPortal folks about Grouper uPortal integration, and will keep Jean Marie in the loop.

[AI] (Chris) will investigate putting the OpenConext Teams UI on the Grouper demo site.

[AI] (Rob) will follow up with Danno on obtaining the server for the Continuous Integration Environment.  

[AI] (TomZ and Chris) will discuss/work on LDAP Grouper Loader for importing groups. JIRA 442  

[AI] (Everyone) review Rob's chapters and give him feedback on the Grouper Users List.

Reminder:   Agendize Grouper UI strategy

DISCUSSION

OSIdM4HE Meeting in Chicago

    • RL Bob Morgan sent an email on 16-Aug-2011 to the EDUCAUSE IDM email list with information about the Open Source IdM for Higher Ed effort that held meetings in Chicago in early August.
    • Information is also available at https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/OSIdM4HE/OSIdM4HE+Initiative
    • TomB noted that there was a lot of positive discussion around Grouper
    • TomB will serve on a sub-group formed to consider how to address gaps in the access management space
    • There is a need to match requests for access betweens roles and access to admin systems. This can potentially be built on top of Grouper

China

    • Several representatives of the Internet2 community attended the recent  "CANS 2011 – One Network – One World" meeting in China
    • http://www.canscouncil.net/cans2011/
    • Grouper was discussed at that meeting
    • Additional engagement will occur at a CANS meeting in Seattle in 2012

Grouper 2.0 Release

    • Shilen has addressed the open issues he was working on for the Grouper 2.0 release
    • LDAPPC-NG build issues still need to be resolved
    • Not sure if TomZ has completed Postgres database testing.
    • Developer vacation schedules may mean the release will be delayed a week or two.
    • Issues around Maven raised by UCLA are getting resolved.

Documentation and other release issues

Release Steps documentation is at: https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Release+steps

[AI] (Shilen) will review the system admin page for needed updateshttps://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+-+Systems+Administration

[AI] (Shilen) will create the v2.0 release notes pagehttps://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/v2.0+Release+Notes

[AI] (SteveO) will take a snapshot of Grouper current documentation and archive it

[AI] (SteveO) will add links to the Grouper demo from the appropriate web and wiki pages.

TomB remarked that it's important to check that crucial documentation pages are in the Grouper PRODUCT space. We do not want crucial documentation pages to live in the Grouper PROJECT space.

[AI] (Shilen) and (SteveO) will review the documentation product pages

Jim Fox said that there are outdated README files, that refer to earlier versions of Grouper.
[AI] (Jim) will email the group listing the issues with README files (DONE)

SteveO will update the software download page. http://www.internet2.edu/grouper/software.html
New features info will come from the highlights page: https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+highlights+2.0

Developers will let SteveO know when the latest tarballs are in place.

Grouper Roadmap Updates

https://spaces.internet2.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=14517754

    • Chris and TomB had a recent conversation about the UI strategy
    • UI changes may be scheduled for Grouper 2.2
    • Chris suggested using AJAX to add additional navigation in the UI.
    • GIP RECIA/ ESUP-Portail has used such a navigation mechanism
    • Gary: it would make sense to create a single UI, instead of having to maintain the old admin UI in addition to the newer approach
    • Need to incorporate accessibility considerations; there are legal requirements
    • WAI-ARIA Accessibility is one tool worth looking at http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/aria

[AI] (Gary) will email the Grouper-Dev list with specifics on UI accessibility issues

    • Bert noted that users sometimes need to specify limits/rules/conditions on who can be in a group, just as administrators do.
    • TomB said that at U-Chicago, users sometimes want a way to specify via the UI if  group data should go to LDAP or to AD.  
    • Gary suggested that the GIP RECIA/ ESUP-Portail interface may allow for code to add some menu options

Next Grouper Call: Wed., Aug. 31, 2011 at noon ET

  • No labels