Child pages
  • Grouper Call 15-June-2016
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

  


Attending:

  • Chris Hyzer, Penn, Chair

  • Tom Barton, U. Chicago

  • Bert Bee-Lindgren, Georgia Tech

  • Misagh Moayyed, Unicon

  • Emily Eisbruch, Internet2 (joined late)


Action Items

[AI] Emily get Camtasia  license for Bert to create Grouper Training Video


[AI] Emily, ping Columbia again about a contrib page (DONE, waiting for reply)

[AI] Bert and GT team will look at the Grouper Deployment Guide authored by Columbia U , and Bill Thompson, and see how to share the helpful info in it

[AI] (Grouper team) review these slides from Apereo:

https://spaces.internet2.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=14517786     (done for Chris)

[AI] (Bert)  document the solution to “turn off old psp issue” that was raised on the list

[AI] (Shilen) look at the Shib Grouper issue from email June 1 at 4:49am

[AI] (Chris) work on patches for 2.3 errors in tomcat

 

[AI] (Bert) investigate camtasia licensing at GT. Grouper-training wiki has details on how to do the videos. [Jun 15: No GT license exists, Need to check with Emily]

[AI] (Bert) create PSP-NG Training Video (after necessary patches) -- Camtasia


[AI] Emily get Camtasia  license for Bert to create Grouper Training Video  (not done yet)

 

[AI] (Bert) document PSP NG install process and the hybrid ant/maven approach.

May be altered by the info here for a way to use Maven without ant:

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+Development+Environment+Using+Maven

Working on it:

End goal: PSPNG jars in dist/lib and the pspng-specific dependencies in lib (tar.gz with dist/lib/*.jar and lib/*.jar) [DONE]

[AI]: [Chris] continue to go through commits going back to 2.2 and make sure they are in Master , Chris has done a lot but not all, it’s on release steps page.  [pending]

[AI] (Chris) make patching and upgrading work on a source directory (based on input from packaging survey) [after Grouper 2.3  release] [pending]

 

Completed Action Items

[AI] (Bert)  be sure idIndex and PSPNG issue is taken care of [DONE: In Patch]

[AI] (Chris) Document new web services (done)

[AI] (Chris) take question of TIER Training  to the Component Architects call (done)

[AI] (Chris) take the chat tool question to TIER Component Architects (done)

[AI] (Chris) put Pagination in web services on the Grouper 2.4 Roadmap (done)

[AI] (Chris)  review the top feedback items from Global Summit Grouper BOF and put in JIRA or Grouper Roadmap, where appropriate (done)

[AI] (Chris)  work on Upgrader and jars name mismatch (done)

[AI] (Chris) put Loader ldap issue example  in demo server (done)

[AI] (Emily) ask  Dean about possible Grouper Training on Sunday before TechEx (done, does not seem possible for Tech Ex 2016)

 

IAMonline - July 13 at 2pm ET

Speakers are:

  • Bert Bee-Lindgren, Georgia Tech

  • Madan Dorairaj, New York University

  • Chris Hyzer, University of Pennsylvania

  • Julio Macavilca, New York University

  • Carl Waldbieser, Lafayette College
  • John Bryson, Georgia Tech





3. Current work tasks

·      Vivek – TIER API

·      Misagh - gradle - performance improvements, build is 10 seconds, making sure grouper artifact is deployable (UI).  build automatically starts up hsql, gsh.  


[AI] for chris: branch in git


Gradle will build a warfile based on grouper


·      Bert – PSPNG

·      Chris – Installer, 2.3 errors in tomcat, WS patches (and installer fixes)

  Misagh: Would overlay new source files on top of old versions, making a new directory tree

·      Shilen - DDL

4. Issue roundup

·      Upgrader and jars name mismatch

·      Instrumentation working group

·      Hipchat [Bert needs to, Misagh has it installed]

·      Error inherited privileges in UI (AI for Chris)

·      PSPNG paged results control [Resolved by pspng patch]

·      PSP provision with name transformation (chop off front two stem names) [AI: Bert to respond]

·      Attribute framework WS samples [Chris thinks wiki page now exists]

·      Shib authentication with ui

·      Pspng group selections  [Resolved by pspng patch]

·      Ldap example on demo server (AI for chris)

·      Enabled/disabled daemon running - probably resolved now [resolved]

·      Web services find group by attribute value - Scott answered his question [self-resolved]

·      Database metadata to see if table exists - Shilen handled this [shilen patched]

·      Configuring grouper loader over web services - Chris made a wiki [same wiki page]

·      See stems in UI that you should see and not more - Brown U. email (AI for chris)

·      Web service content type (AI for chris)

·      Jeffrey Crawford 6/8 email about provisioning (AI for bert)

·      Grouper Columbia primer document - [AI] Bert and team will review it and especially  look for things not in the installer

  • Emily, ping Columbia again about a contrib page [AI: Bert and GT team will look at it and see how to share these]

·      Grouper loader and case sensitvity (is this a bug?  AI Chris followup with Shilen. Wait for Shilen’s reponse.)

 Should there be an option for this?

·      Add groups as members with rule (AI for Chris) [AI] Chris

·      Pspng installer [In final testing, hopefully. Announce/Release 6/16?]

·      Apache airavata and IU - Chris will respond

·      Accessibility evaluation from Colorodo - Chris is handling

·      Psp stemNames sean mason (AI for Bert)

·      Jar conflict upgrade issues [Fixed]

·      Grouper HA (do we need a wiki?) -Chris will handle [AI] chris add to wiki

·      Think about how Grouper should work with Docker

  • - this has come up in TIER Packaging WG, please join the Packaging WG calls if interested.  

  • Bert will investigate this topic

John Gasper has Docker + Grouper experience (Bert would like to participate) (John gasper full fledged Grouper in docker) - Compare docker file from Gasper with TIER [AI] for chris, add this for 20 minutes to future agenda

  • 4 images (loader, ws, ui, api), docker composes into one running docker instance

  • Configured for demo purposes

  • LDAP subject source, sample data

  • Built using installer

  • 2.3

  • Patching… does it replace it with config overlay?

    • When patching, running build, new version of image is created

    • Running installer in a brand new fashion

    • Produces new version of that image

    • Never ever ssh in to the image and patch

    • Patch script in WS module

  • What database

    • Built in HSQL (used to be mysql but had problems)

  • Automatically builds these images to dockerhub

    • From deployer perspective, prepare docker file that says “from” TIER Grouper X, overlay everything that needs to be overwritten.  Their final artifact

    • 2.2.0 to 2.3.0: go to docker script, put changes on top of new version, change configuration, update database

  • Should the composer merge all images into one?  Run daemon on separate box since resource intensive.  

  John’s Work: Link1

   You may also want to look at the composable solution where the components are isolated into separate images:https://github.com/Unicon/grouper-dockerized/.https://github.com/Unicon/grouper-dockerized/tree/master/test-compose shows a working demo.


·      

Jira issue security [AI] Chris to ask Atlassian how anonymous people can search for issues they can see

·      Branch master to 2.3 branch?  Ready? - yes Chris will handle this 2.3.1-SNAPSHOT and 2.4.0-SNAPSHOT

·      WS patches

·      TechEx 2016 in Miami - talk “provisioning locally and to the cloud” - Bert will do this

·      IAM planning call - Thurs June 23: June 23@Noon: https://bluejeans.com/4406615588

·      Finding attributes in gsh


5. AI review


Docker Discussion ---

  • Misagh - John Gasper is the expert (put the link here)

  • idea is that Docker images for Grouper Components .  

  • These images are available indendently.

  • The Docker Compose Tool brings the modules / images together.

  • It is preconfigured for demo purposes.

  • John Gasper uses Grouper 2.3 with Docker

  • Patches and upgrades are handled through Docker

  • New version or patched version overlays base version

  • Database gets updated

  • Good practice: Loader and Deamon should be run on a separate box

  • UI and Web Services can be together


 Next Grouper Call: Wed. June 29, 2016

 

  • No labels