Child pages
  • Grouper Call 15-Aug-2012
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Draft Minutes, Grouper Call 15-Aug-2012

Tom Barton, University of Chicago (Chair)
Chris Hyzer, University of Pennsylvania
Michael Girgis, University of Chicago
Shilen Patel, Duke
Jim Fox, University of Washington
Andrew Petro, Unicon
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2, scribe

New Action Items

[AI] (TomB) check with U-Chicago Information security officer re the cost of contracting for security review of Grouper releases

[AI] (Chris) will create a doc page explaining steps  for a minor upgrade, taking info from the training video

[AI] (Chris) inform the list about the things that are stable in the new release (DONE)

[AI] (Chris) update the software download page

[AI] (Shilen) develop bullets to become text of Grouper 2.1.2 release notice and share with Grouper core

[AI] (SteveO) contact MikeL of TSG to set up a call with Jim and Andrew regarding adding option Grouper registration to the downloads

[AI] (Emily) review the Grouper doc wiki and make suggestions
Carry Over Action Items

[AI] (Chris) upgrade the Grouper demo to the latest Grouper version 2.1

[AI] (TomZ) add info to the wiki regarding doing testing on provisioning  

[AI] (TomZ) will put test data in the Grouper demo to show using an LDAP source.

[AI] (Emily) Initiate an overall Grouper Features table with brief descriptions and links to documentation (DONE)https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+Components+Overview

========

DISCUSSION

Grouper v2.1.2 Release
 
- TomB will check with TomZ on the status
- Aside from PSP, all other issues are ready for the release

Chris has been going through the release steps:https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Release+steps

Consider hiring out (contracting out) a security check as part of the release process?
[AI] (TomB) check with U-Chicago Information security officer re the cost of contracting for security review of Grouper releases

Upgrade instructions from the "Minor Upgrades" Grouper training video are helpful.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE67V38Jes0
Chris will add upgrade info from the Training Video to the documentation wiki
   Chris plans to make a generic doc page for a minor upgrade and link to it from the software download page.
[AI] (Chris) will create a doc page explaining steps  for a minor upgrade, taking info from the training video

Is the Specsheet correct?https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Specsheet
Chris: yes, will get the new servlet container to work and update drivers

  • How much of the doc has changed for Grouper 2.1.2?
  • Not a lot, no need to create an archive of Grouper 2.1.1 docs.
  • When we release Grouper 2.2 , we will archive the 2.1.x wiki
  •  Emily will review docs.

We need to be sure that the new web services operations indicate they work for Grouper 2.1.2 +

[AI] (Emily) review the Grouper doc wiki and make suggestions

[AI] (Chris) update the software download page

[AI] (Shilen) develop bullets to become text of Grouper 2.1.2 release notice and share with Grouper core

Preparing for Grouper 2.2

https://spaces.internet2.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=14517754

Shilen: working on stem set table
expects to work on UI going forward

Once Grouper 2.1 is released, Chris is planning on starting working on non-UI issues for Grouper 2.2
then turn focus to the new Grouper UI work

Measuring Grouper Adoption

To measure Grouper adoption:

- look into an optional registration option

- Look at the Uportal model, where adopters, who opt into the registration, get security notifications above and beyond the general notifications on the Grouper-Users list.

- Will this fit well into the Grouper Installer process? Yes, can be done from the installer

- What registration data to ask for beyond email address?
   -  possibly name and organization name?
   - try to get Grouper version they downloaded (can get it implicitly)

Implementing such a registration step (capturing the data) involves creating a database.
Possibly use the demo server?

[AI] (SteveO) contact MikeL of TSG to set up a call with Jim and Andrew regarding adding optional Grouper registration

Bigger Picture

 - Grouper training videos & adoption has been helpful to the community
     - TomB has received positive feedback when he has pointed interested people to the videos
     - the training videos should lead to greater Grouper adoption
     - appreciation to Chris and Shilen for all their work on creating online training materials

- There positive signs around the CIFER project, including supportive statements emerging from key stakeholders who attended a recent Kuali Board Meeting.http://www.ciferproject.org/

Collaboration is happening between SURFnet and Internet2 around their collaboration management platform projects.

Middleware community leaders looking at the best ways to fill potential gaps created with the loss of our dear friend RL Bob Morgan.

Upcoming Meetings

- Internet2 Fall Member Meeting:

- Grouper Working Group
Monday, October 1, 2012 at 9:15 amhttp://events.internet2.edu/2012/fall-mm/agenda.cfm?go=session&id=10002529&event=1149

- Grouper After Groups - Enabling Net+ Services with PAP, PEP and PDP, Oh My!,
Wed., October 3, 2012, 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM
Speakers: Chris Hyzer , University of Pennsylvania and William Thompson , Uniconhttp://events.internet2.edu/2012/fall-mm/agenda.cfm?go=session&id=10002595&event=1149

- Advance CAMP (October 4-5) is shaping up wellhttps://spaces.internet2.edu/display/ACAMP2012/Home

Next Grouper-Dev Call: Wed. 29-Aug. 2012 at noon ET

  • No labels