Child pages
  • Grouper Call 14-July-2016
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

  

 

Grouper Call Thursday. July  14, 2016

This is a make-up call on a Thursday, since the regular Wed July 13 call was devoted to NYU use case discussion.

Attending

Chris Hyzer, U Penn, (Chair)

Bert, Ga Tech

Shilen, Duke

Emily Eisbruch, Internet2


New Action Items


[AI] (Chris) Configure sources.xml as properties file 

[AI] (Chris) work on ehcache xml 

[AI] (Chris)  show how to build new installer 

[AI] (Shilen) Work on Subject ordering

[AI] (Shilen) Work on  rules and effective memberships (Jira recently opened)

[AI]  (Bert) respond to  inquiry on Grouper-Users list on June 30  re pspng error

[AI]  (Chris)  Add to jira or roadmap and talk to Bert and John Gasper re Rules on an individual’s membership)

[AI] (Bert) Put these in jira: Grace Periods, Membership Rules, People/Account subjects

 

Carry Over Action Items

 

[AI] (Misagh and Chris) work together on merge of multiple web.xml files for the gradle work (keep it)

 

[AI] (Misagh) create JIRA about patches and directories created during install

 

[AI] (Bert) Create patch for case-sensitivity issue

 

[AI] Emily get Camtasia  license for MAC for Bert to create Grouper Training Video (in progress)

 

[AI] If possible switch Chris Camtasia from PC to MAC (Update: TSG suggested that Chris try existing license on his MAC).  Update, this did not work, a different MAC license is needed. Chris learned he can buy MAC license  for $50. Chris email emily and/or tech support about Mac issue

 

[AI] Bert and GT team will look at the Grouper Deployment Guide authored by Columbia U , and Bill Thompson, and see how to share the helpful info in it

 

[AI] (Bert)  document the solution to “turn off old psp issue” that was raised on the list

 

[AI] (Bert) investigate camtasia licensing at GT. Grouper-training wiki has details on how to do the videos. [Jun 15: No GT license exists, Emily working on this]

 

[AI] (Bert) create PSP-NG Training Video (after necessary patches) -- Camtasia

 

[AI]: [Chris] continue to go through commits going back to 2.2 and make sure they are in Master , and address the TO DO’s -- Chris has done a lot but not all, it’s on release steps page.  [pending]

 

[AI] (Chris) make patching and upgrading work on a source directory (based on input from packaging survey) [after Grouper 2.3  release] [pending]

Discussion

NYU Grouper Use Case discussion on July 13 at noon ET went well.

See notes here. Thank you to NYU.

 

IAM Online on Grouper  

  • Chris, GA Tech, Lafayette, NYU presented

  • The IAM Online on Grouper  on July 13  went well. Thanks to the campuses who presented.

  • Slides are linked from here



Update on effort to recommend standards for deploying Grouper

Current work tasks 

·         Vivek – TIER API - will be on demo server

·         Misagh - gradle

·         Bert – PSPNG

 

  • Docker, likes it

  • Incorporate in dev env

  • Might be difficult to dockerize grouper config

  • Simplify configuration,

  • (AI Chris) Configure sources.xml as properties file

  • (AI Chris) work on ehcache xml

  • All or nothing overlay w Docker

  • Might concatenate property files

  • Chris: might use environment variables

  • Bert will work on mounting the properties and making use of them from inside the containers

  • Chris: subject.properties specifies location of sources.xml - might help?

  • Bert working on case sensitivity patching, ldap-pool configuration, support

 

·         Chris – Patches,

 

new WS call for Brown re external subjects

 

·         Shilen – Patches

 

  • Installer patch (AI for Chris to show how to build new installer)

  • (AI for shilen) Work on Subject ordering

  • Suggestion to use two lists

  • SubjectID and Description should probably always show, but could be configurable

 

4. Issue roundup

 

·         AI for chris, build installer and document how to

 

·         Columbia contrib

 

·         Instrumentation monitoring (Shilen attend Thurs 2pm call?)

 

  • Simple Servlet (on demo server)

  • URL be discoverable

  • Some stats: Counts of changes, look ups

  • Capture institution

  • Features enabled (psp?  Pspng?  Quartz classes?  # of Loader jobs)


·         U. Toronto contrib - Emily reminded Peter St. Onge this week. No reply yet

 

·         AI for shilen, rules and effective memberships? (Jira recently opened)

 

·         WS find a group by approx. name

 

·         Show folders users should see

 

·         Audit entry for import

 

·         HipChat

 

·         AI for Bert, respond to  Francoise re pspng error

 

·         PSU customize UI two items Chris and Shilen

 

·         How to create a patch

 

·         Misagh installer jiras (different dir, encrypt creds, subject source)

 

·         Autocreate GROUPER_HOME

 

·         GATech person and accounts AI talk about this

 

·         Camtasia AI for chris

 

·         WS external user brown (AI for chris)

 

·         AI for chris – Shaun Koh rule question

 

·         UMD chat about Grouper

 

·         Atlassian connector

 

·         “Recent” activity on UI

 

·         Rules on an individual’s membership (AI for Chris to add to jira or roadmap and talk to Bert and John Gasper)

 

·         Penn upgrade to 2.3

 

·         Grace Periods: Group A is a member of Group B, with a Grace Period. When a subject is in Group A, they’re clearly an indirect member of Group B. When they fall out of Group A, they would be made temporary members of Group B, with an end date of <current time> + grace period. There are 4 use cases driving these grace periods: 1) Let people clean up their stuff, finish incompletes, etc 2) Be able to warn people before their services go away, 3) Reduce the effects of mistakes, 4) Keep services continuously as people come and go from deserving students.

 

[AI] (Bert) Put these in jira: Grace Periods, Membership Rules, People/Account subjects


Reminder: Register for Internet2 Tech Ex in Miami.

 

Sign up here for TIER Developers and WG Members meeting on Thursday Sept  29, noon -3 if you are a TIER WG member.


Next Grouper Call: Wed July 27, 2016

  • No labels