Child pages
  • Grouper Call 14-April-2010
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Grouper Call 14-Apr-2010

 *Attending*
Tom Barton, U. Chicago  (Chair)
Gary Brown, Bristol
Shilen Patel, Duke
Chris Hyzer, U. Penn
Tom Zeller, U. Memphis
Ron Hebron, Cardiff University
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2 (scribe)

*New Action Items*

[AI] (Chris and SteveO) will discuss setting up a test instance of Grouper.
[AI] (Rob) will send information to the list about rule-based actions.https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/~a062734b@cardiff.ac.uk/Drools+rules+engin
[AI] (TomB) will create a list of performance issues for discussion later.
[AI] (Rob) will look at issues relating to testing the ESB Connector.
[AI] (SteveO) will provide Rob with SVN credentials.

Note: Grouper 1.6 Code Freeze is Friday May 7

*Discussion*

*Grouper Release Procedures*

The release procedures worked reasonably well for the Grouper 1.5.3. release.  An initial issue of a missing library was fixed.https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/GrouperWG/Release+steps
It was suggested that for each release someone on the dev team  (to be selected on a rotation) should check out all the packages and do a build and a quick start. Possibly the built version could then be used as a demo/test version.

[AI] (Chris and SteveO) will discuss setting up a test instance of Grouper.

*Use of Grouper-Dev List*

A discussion of an issue involving composite groups led to the suggestion that all emails about programming issues should be sent to the entire grouper-dev list so that everyone is up to speed during calls.

*Topics for Sunday Evening Grouper-Dev dinner at SMM*

- Roadmap, design issues
- Coordinate on Grouper 1.6 issues
- Rule Engines  -- see Rob's info at https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/~a062734b@cardiff.ac.uk/Drools+rules+engine
License issues -- Chris and TomZ will work on these during the SMM, but probably not during the Sunday dinner.

Opportunities to meet the community and shmooze at SMM were discussed.

*Plan for Grouper Working Group Session at SMM*

-Overhead, agenda build
-Roadmap discussion 15 minutes
-New Grouper priv. mgmt features to manage access in Active Directory. (Shilen and Rob) 15 min.

-What's New with Grouper 1.6.   (Chris and TomZ) 30 minutes  - Grouper Kim workflow

    - Notification proof of concept demo.
    - demo using web services to define permissions.
    - TomZ on Ldappc - ng (start with recap, clarify that Grouper data connection for Shib is included)
-  Issues posed by attendees

*Performance*

Due to the full agenda, there won't be an presentation on performance issues at the SMM Grouper WG session.

TomB will create a list of performance issues to think about later, possibly including:

-Impact of Flattened Memberships on performance and queries
 - Write operations for group management
(affects composite groups)
- Rendering memberships of extremely large groups
- Should limited queries be allowed to increase response time, i.e., "give me all groups that Joe belongs to but only in a particular stem"

[AI] (TomB) will create a list of performance issues for discussion later.

*Grouper 1.6 Release*

Rob's ESB connector work will be included in  the release of Grouper 1.6,
 with a caveat that it is experimental.

Integration testing for the ESB connector is complex, involving systems beyond Grouper itself.

What about using web services to test, or adding a servlet in the web XML?

[AI] (Rob) will look at issues relating to testing the ESB Connector.

It was noted that ldappc also poses challenges for end to end testing.

[AI] (SteveO) will provide Rob with SVN credentials.

Friday May 7 is the code freeze for Grouper 1.6

There will be a special "off week" call to discuss the release on Wed. May 5.

Next Meeting:  At Internet2 Spring Member Meeting, Monday, April 26, 10:30am - noon

http://events.internet2.edu/2010/spring-mm/agenda.cfm?go=session&id=10001170&event=910

Next Call:  Wed. May 12, noon ET

  • No labels