Child pages
  • Grouper Call 12-Sep-2012
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Draft Minutes: Grouper Call 12-Sept-2012

Attending:

Chris Hyzer, U. Pennsylvania (Stand-in Chair)
Shilen Patel, Duke
Bill Thompson, Unicon
Andrew Petro, Unicon
Steve Olshansky, Internet2

Carry Over Action Items

[AI] (TomB) discuss with Michael G. presentation on Grouper UI work at 2012 FMM Grouper WG

[AI] (Emily) review the Grouper doc wiki and make suggestions

[AI] (Chris) upgrade the Grouper demo to the latest Grouper version 2.1

[AI] (TomZ) add info to the wiki regarding doing testing on provisioning  

[AI] (TomZ) put test data in the Grouper demo to show using an LDAP source.

[AI] (SteveO) contact MikeL of TSG to set up a call with Jim and Andrew regarding adding optional Grouper registration to the downloads  (postponed until after 2012 FMM)

DISCUSSION
PSP & Grouper 2.1.2 Status

- Waiting for an zip file version issue to be fixed.
- Need to follow up with TomZ
- There is currently no plan for 2.1.3

Plan for Fall Member Meeting Face to Face Grouper Working Group

Grouper Working Group session at Fall Member Meeting:
 Monday, Oct. 1,  9:30am - 10:30am,  Freedom E Roomhttp://events.internet2.edu/2012/fall-mm/agenda.cfm?go=session&id=10002529&event=1149

Chris made a few tweaks to this draft agenda:https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/FMM+2012+Grouper+WG+Draft+Agenda

New Configuration File Overlay

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+configuration+overlay

Chris reported:
- For every config file, there is currently an example properties file and a regular properties file
- Chris was going to use the Examples properties file as the base and the other one would overlay that
- But that could be confusing, as it won't be obvious that  an Example file affects anything
- So new approach is

no example file

- There  will be
<name>.base.properties file
   and
<name>.properties file

- the deployer will see
  - the base properties file with every config option in it
   and
   -  the regular properties file that has the required properties and optionally you can put more from the based file

Q: What about naming like this:
 Grouper.default.properties
   and
 Grouper.override.properties

A:  Chris: the word "default" could be misleading, could imply you have to use that file, whereas in fact, you can specify the properties file you want read

- One of the files that people may want to use with this is the sources.xml
- There could be a properties file that specifies where the xml file is so there could be one xml file for multiple things

Comment:
-  looks like step in right direction
- path towards making Grouper easier to manage and configure

===
Plugins to be housed in Spring / Shiro's Source Control

Bill suggested:
-  the Grouper project might want to investigate reaching out to Apache Shiro and Spring Security regarding having Grouper integration plugins maintained and sponsored by them
- these components could be part of the Shiro and Spring core distribution

- so, for example, Shiro distribution would come with the authorization plugin to bridge Shiro APIs to understand the Grouper client
- Shiro would also come with the Grouper JAR

- the CAS project uses this approach and it has helped promote CAS adoption

- this would be a plan for the future
- currently, the plugin components are not yet ready for production

Q: Would Shiro distribute a Grouper client jar?
A: potentially yes

Q: is large size of the Grouper jar an issue?
A: No, it won't matter

Chris: this approach could make versioning easier because Grouper WS is backwards compatible at client level.
If Spring Security or Shiro changed API, and if code was housed there, then there would just be one version

Unicon is putting together a proof of concept for the plugin connectors, to be presented at the FMM session
  "Grouper after Groups - Enabling Net+ Services with PAP, PEP, and PDP, Oh My!"  
  Wed., 3-Oct, 4:30-5:30pm in Independence A

- Could be interesting to discuss this approach at Grouper WG at FMM
- to raise it as an approach and idea

- Chris added this topic to the agenda for FMM
under "Roadmap: Unicon's idea of creating and submitting Spring Security and Shiro plugins to be housed in Spring / Shiro's source control"

Next Grouper-dev Call: Wed. 26-Sept-2012, at noon ET

REMINDER:
Grouper Working Group session at Fall Member Meeting:
 Monday, Oct. 1,  9:30am - 10:30am,  Freedom E Roomhttp://events.internet2.edu/2012/fall-mm/agenda.cfm?go=session&id=10002529&event=1149

  • No labels