Minutes: Grouper Call 11-May-2011
Tom Barton, University of Chicago (chair)
Chris Hyzer, University of Pennsylvania
Shilen Patel, Duke
Jim Fox, University of Washington
Gary Brown, Bristol
Tom Zeller, U. Memphis
Ann West, Internet2
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2 (scribe)
** Grouper 2.0 Release: Code freeze on Friday, July 8 ***
New Action Items
[AI] (Everyone) provide information on the Grouper 2.0 highlights wiki page. https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+highlights+2.0
[AI] (Everyone) review JIRA issues in preparation for Grouper 2.0
Carry Over Action Items
[AI] (Jim) will create a wiki page showing a script for converting data from an existing approach when deploying Grouper
[AI] (Chris) will implement member search and sort in the Lite UI
[AI] (Chris) will put attribute framework UI work on demo site
[AI] (Rob) will follow up with Danno on obtaining the server for the Continuous Integration Environment.
[AI] (TomZ and Chris) will discuss/work on LDAP Grouper Loader for importing groups. JIRA 442
[AI] (Everyone) review Rob's chapters and give him feedback on the Grouper Users List.
Reminder: Agendize Grouper UI strategy
Planning/ Timing for Grouper 2.0 Release:
• Chris: finishing the Attribute UI and Permissions UI will take approx. 4-6 weeks
• Allow and deny and hierarchies are particularly complicated; these are being discussed on the Grouper and MACE-paccman lists
• TomZ: require 4-6 weeks to complete LDAP PC real-time work
• The next two weeks will be devoted largely to planning for and then attending the Jasig and Advance CAMP in Colorado, including the pre-Jasig Supplementary Seminar on Grouper. https://www.concentra-cms.com/program/Jasig/jasigs-spotlight-open-source/283.html
• Original target of code freeze on May 16 from Grouper 2.0 will be possible only by limiting the features in the release
• Options include :
• 1. Doing a limited Grouper 2.0 release in May with a fuller Grouper 2.1 release a few months later
• 2. doing a Grouper 1.8 release in May for folks who want some of the features that are ready
• 3. postponing the Grouper 2.0 release
• Concern with options 1 and 2: Two releases within a few months will cause too much work for deployers
• Decision was to go with option 3: postpone the Grouper 2.0 release until July
• Code Freeze on July 8
• Release on July 29
• It was noted that one advantage is that this provides more time to prepare marketing strategy / materials
JIRA issues for Grouper 2.0
• There are 51 JIRA issues.
• Everyone needs to review them.
• TomZ noted that the cert expiration issue is important to fix for Grouper 2.0 release
• What about the demo server and the continuous integration environment ?
• Will those be ready for the Grouper 2.0 release?
• Will discuss on the next call, when Rob is present.
FIFER API Status
• Action item from the 2010 Advance CAMP is to develop a standard group service and API
• this is being worked on under the FIFER umbrella https://wiki.jasig.org/display/FIFER/Group+API+Data+Structures+and+Operations
• Benn (COmanage) and EricW (Kuali) and Jenn (uPortal) and Chris Hyzer (Grouper) and Scott Cantor (Shib) have been collaborating to move this forward
• Most likely the FIFER groups web service will not replace the native Grouper groups web service, but Grouper will support the FIFER web service
• A connector will be added to Grouper to a support the FIFER approach
• Chris asked about how to prioritize work on the FIFER project.
• TomB said this FIFER work will become a priority again after Grouper 2.0 is released.
Documentation for Grouper 2.0
Everyone should be sure to keep documentation updated for the development work being done for Grouper 2.0
Also, update the Grouper Highlights page:
[AI] (Everyone) fill out the information on the Grouper 2.0 highlights wiki page. https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+highlights+2.0
Grouper-dev call for Wed., May 25 call is cancelled due to Advance CAMP
Next Call: Wed., June 8, noon ET
Upcoming Meetings of Interest:
• Getting Started With Grouper Seminar (the Sunday before Jasig), May 22, 2011 https://www.concentra-cms.com/program/Jasig/48/283.html
• Jasig Spotlight on Open Source, May 23-25: http://www.jasig.org/jasigs-spotlight-open-source
* Advance CAMP, May 25-27: https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/ACAMPIdSummit2011/Home