Child pages
  • Grouper Call 10-Apr-2013
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Minutes, Grouper call 10-April-2013

Attending

Tom Barton, U. Chicago (chair)  
Chris Hyzer, University of Pennsylvania  
Shilen Patel, Duke University
Jim Fox, University of Washington
Bill Thompson, Unicon  
Michael Gettes, CMU
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2, scribe

New Action Items

[AI] (Emily) reach out to  Grouper user campuses to talk for 5 minutes about Grouper at the Virtual WG

[AI] (Emily) create a slide for the Grouper Virtual WG about the training curriculum, including statistics on how many hits

Carry Over Action Items

[AI] Dave find out about switching the namespace access from TomZ

[AI] (Emily) look at thread on attributes and permissions and make
suggestions on improving wiki doc if needed.

[AI] SteveO share the Grouper Download page notification with Andrew to
get his input  

[AI] (Chris) upgrade the Grouper demo to the latest Grouper version 2.1

[AI] (DaveL) add info to the wiki regarding doing testing on Provisioning

[AI] (DaveL) put test data in the Grouper demo to show using an LDAP
source.

DISCUSSION

Grouper Workshop at APEREO Conference

http://www.sakaiproject.org/projects/apereo

-Registration is open for the  Grouper half-day workshop at the Apereo Conference
-Sunday afternoon June 2, 1pm – 4pm in San Diego
-Workshop Title is "Enterprise Authorization Strategies - Intro to Grouper"http://conf2013.apereo.org/schedule/preconference#grouper

Virtual WG sessions May 20-21

Virtual working groups are planned for May 20-21.
See https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/InCCollaborate/Virtual+Working+Groups+-+May+20-21%2C+2013

The virtual working groups will be like the IAM Online, using Adobe Connect.
Proposed Agenda for Grouper Virtual Working Group on May 20 at 1pm ET
Welcome, orientation to the Virtual Working Groups
Intro to Grouper
Project status & recent news
v2.1
v2.2
demo of new UI
Brief campus case studies: what we're doing with Grouper and why
Longer term roadmap
Wrap-up, related events, opportunities to follow
[AI] (Emily)  reach out to  Grouper user campuses to talk for 5 minutes about Grouper at the Virtual WG

The Grouper training curriculum is a major accomplishment, and the youtube training videos are getting many hits.
The LDAP Training for Architects and Developers has over 1000 hits.
[AI] (Emily) create a slide for the Grouper Virtual WG about the training curriculum, including statistics on how many hits

Identity Week Nov 11-15, Silicon Valley

An Identity Week series of meetings is planned for November, most likely in San Jose.http://www.incommon.org/idweek/

Tenative Schedule for Identity Week is
-Mon. Nov 11 – REFEDs
-Tues Nov 12  and Wed morning-  ACAMP – Identity Services Summit
-Wed Nov 13 in afternoon – Working Groups
-Thurs and Friday morning - CAMP

CMU Subject Source

Michael said that additional document on on how to deploy Grouper would be helpful.  Documentation on "this is what we did to solve problem X"

CMU is considering the best way for inactive users to be available for audit history. Another need is to re-instate previously suspended/ logically deleted people back to the list they were in previously. CMU has tried to accomplish this by moving deleted people into a group in a new root stem (using Grouper rules).  These people will then be a new subject source where only deleted people can be seen. Jim and Shilen commented that having the deleted users in a different subject source where only deleted / inactive subjects can be seen could be problematic, since this creates a new subject from Grouper's perspective. Multiple entries in the member table for the same subject is not ideal.

Can composite groups be used to address this? U. Chicago uses composites, but does not ever delete an account.
Michael: CMU is also moving in the direction of not deleting accounts, but an interim solution is needed.

Suggestion to use a flag on the subject source, to indicate deleted or not. Then use the flag to subjects from certain displays and do not allow flagged subjects to be added to groups. Possible issue: deleted subject might still show up in searches.

Chris suggests a tweak to the Grouper code to add a statusAttribute, as outlined here:https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2013-04/msg00092.html

Next Grouper Call: Wed. 24-April-2013 at noon ET

  • No labels