Child pages
  • Grouper Call 1-June-2016
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

  

 

Action Items and notes from Grouper Call of June 1, 2016


Attending:

Chris Hyzer, Penn, Chair

Tom Barton, U. Chicago

Misagh Moayyed, Unicon

Shilen Patel, Duke

Emily Eisbruch, Internet2

 

 

 

New Action Items

[AI] (Emily) ask  Dean about possible Grouper Training on Sunday before TechEx (done, does not seem possible for Tech Ex 2016)

[AI] (Chris) take question of TIER Training  to the Component Architects call (done)

[AI] (Grouper team) review these slides from Apereo:

https://spaces.internet2.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=14517786     (done for chris)

 

[AI] (Chris) ask Bill re names of May 22 Grouper Workshop at Apereo attendees (done)

[AI] (Chris)  review the top feedback items from Global Summit Grouper BOF and put in JIRA or Grouper Roadmap, where appropriate (done)

[AI] (Chris)  work on Upgrader and jars name mismatch

 

[AI] (Bert)  be sure idIndex and PSPNG issue is taken care of

[AI] (Bert)  document the solution to “turn off old psp issue” that was raised on the list

[AI] (Chris) take the chat tool question to TIER Component Architects (done)

[AI] (Chris) put Pagination in web services on the Grouper 2.4 Roadmap (done)

 

[AI] (Chris) put Loader ldap issue example  in demo server]

 

[AI] (Shilen) look at the Shib Grouper issue from email June 1 at 4:49am

[AI] (Chris) work on patches for 2.3 errors in tomcat

 

Carry Over Items

 

[AI] (Bert) investigate camtasia licensing at GT. Grouper-training wiki has details on how to do the videos.

 

 

[AI] (Bert) create PSP-NG Training Video (after necessary patches) -- Camtasia

 

 

[AI] (Bert) document PSP NG install process and the hybrid ant/maven approach.

May be altered by the info here for a way to use Maven without ant:

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+Development+Environment+Using+Maven

Working on it:

End goal: PSPNG jars in dist/lib and the pspng-specific dependencies in lib (tar.gz with dist/lib/*.jar and lib/*.jar) [DONE]

 

 

[AI] (Chris) Document new web services [pending]

 

[AI]: [Chris] continue to go through commits going back to 2.2 and make sure they are in Master , Chris has done a lot but not all, it’s on release steps page.  [pending]

[AI] (Chris) make patching and upgrading work on a source directory (based on input from packaging survey) [after Grouper 2.3  release] [pending]

 

 

Discussion

 

Debrief 2016 Global Summit / Apereo  

 

(Grouper training at Tech Ex in Miami, Sept 25-28?)

[AI] (Emily) ask  Dean about possible Grouper Training on Sunday before TechEx (done)

 

Should we do more in-person Grouper Training?

Connection with greater TIER ecosystem (Grouper, Shib, COmanage, Registry)

[AI] (Chris) take question of TIER Training  to the Component Architects call

 

[AI] (Grouper team)  review these slides from Apereo:

https://spaces.internet2.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=14517786

 

[AI] (Chris) ask Bill re names of May 22 Apereo attendees

 

Notes Grouper BOF

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Grouper+BOF+at+2016+Global+Summit%2C+May+18+2016

 

[AI] Chris review the outcomes from Grouper BOF and put in JIRA or Grouper Roadmap, where appropriate (done)

  • Small, medium, large configurations for caches etc

    • Chris not sure on this, should we put this in JIRA?

    • Tom: It’s about making all of Grouper easier to configure, and that is worth discussing

 

  • PSP UI would be useful

  • Ann Harding from Geant has been working on instrumentation

  • People are interested in loader performance

  • UI could mention that operations will be slow or schedule them for later (adding large group to another group)

  • Penn State and full sync message




Slides from Apereo are found here:

https://spaces.internet2.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=14517786



IAM Online - Wed July 13, 2016 at 2pm ET

 presentations from

  • Georgia Tech - Door Control System Use Case - Bert?

  • Lafayette (confirmed, presenter will be Carl Waldbieser)

  • NYU


Current work tasks

 

Shilen:

Fixing Bugs

Could assign Shilen new tasks

  • Distinct / Synced? Membership lightweight view

  • Will be a patch

  • Replicate performance issue with lw view, see if removing distinct helps.  If so, remove distinct for those views in mysql.  Also look at using schema metadata to see if views/tables exist instead of doing a select query.

 

Chris: there will be working group for TIER Instrumentation

Shilen may be involved in this work..



Chris:

Working on patches and action items

PSPNG needs integration with the installer, Chris will be working on this

 

Welcome to Vivek to the Grouper Dev Team

  • 10 hours per week

  • Working with the TIER API working group

  • And the Penn State SCIM server to implement a data connector

  • Creating new extensions for groups and users in metadata

  • And create new SCIM resource type

 

Bert -

PSPNG for Grouper 2.3 - fixing issues people are having

 

Issue roundup

Upgrader and jars name mismatch

AI Chris work on Upgrader and jars name mismatch

 

Grouper client search scope

Chris has worked on this and made a patch



Shell questions (should work on this)

Lafayette and others interested… it’s on the roadmap for Grouper 2.4

 

·         Instrumentation working group (Shilen)

 

 idIndex and pspng?

[AI] (Bert) please be sure idIndex and pspng is taken care of

 

 Tx isolation read committed - Shilen did this

 

Tier packaging

One issue was the use of an Expect script - too fragile. Chris sent doc to address this.



Turn off old psp?  Upgrade step?

AI Bert - please document the solution to “turn off old PSP issue” that was raised on the list

 

Gitter chat for Grouper Dev Team

  • https://gitter.im/

  • Misagh raised this issue of collaboration tool to augment our email communication.

  • Provides more real time communication with team members.

  • Provides good integration with Git Hab

  • Can get a Gitter Client or use it from a website

  • Shilen: agrees

  • Penn and  U. Chicago use Slack, it reduces email https://slack.com/

  • Unicon uses hipchat

  • Duke uses Jabber

  • Jim: can be distracting

  • [AI]  CHRIS TAKE The chat tool question to TIER COMPONENT ARCHITECTS TO GET ONE TIER TOOL FOR THIS IF POSSIBLE.

  • Misagh: there is also this: http://www.mattermost.org/ 

  • Jim: Email leaves a history of conversations and etc.  Do chat tools generally maintain a history?





Pagination in web services (oops, no total count)

There is now a JIRA to put this into Grouper 2.4

[AI] Chris put Pagination in web services on the Grouper 2.4 Roadmap

 

 Loader ldap issue (make example on demo server?)

[AI Chris put Loader ldap issue example  in demo server]

 

·         Gasper hook issues

 

Shib grouper issue?  Shilen helping?

[AI] (Shilen) look at this Shib Grouper issue from email June 1 at 4:49am

 

2.3 errors in tomcat

 [AI] (Chris) work on patches for 2.3 errors in tomcat

]

 

Full sync messaging

Penn State wants to pack a message with full representation, issue of size of messages

 

Delete membership performance problem

Chris and Shilen discussed this. There is a patch to fix this. Only applies to large deployments -

 

Mysql memberships view issue (look for other distincts?) - Shilen working on this

 

Pspng and folder attributes - Bert looking at this

 

Grouper Gradle (no maven, no ant)

  • Misagh working on this.

  • Has reorganized the dependency versions

  • Has Gradlized some of the new Grouper Modules (for TIER and PSPNG)

  • Working on producing the Grouper UI in Tomcat

  • This is all native Gradle

  • Will be testing more later this week.

  • Initial tests show impressive speed (could split up code base for greater speed)

  • Then will tackle web services and create tests to automate

  • Can use Gradle just on one subset or module

  • After Misagh get farther on this project, we will move towards eliminating use of Maven and ant



Next Grouper Call: Wed. June 15, 2016 at noon ET

 

  • No labels